www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:40 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Hi im looking on replacing some known rust areas on the 205

namely the doors, passenger side only, rear lower quarter, right side lower (passenger Ariel side)
left side (drivers side) rear Arch, front part of the arch (rears fine)

basically as far as i know, there are no off the shelf panels that can be bought for these cars, is that correct?

so i would have to source rust free replacements off other cars
now id need a sliver door (rust free) but the other parts could be any colour due to he cut and weld process
now my biggest problem is, i know that Face Puke has now taken over completely, meaning that unless your on there
which im not, its very hard to actually get in touch with anybody who can help source these parts

so i was wondering what advise people on here may have
ive tried the usual Ebay, but its very hard to find a rust free door in silver, or find a seller
who is competent at supplying the bits im after (rust free), so any thoughts on this

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
The only advice I can really offer is to deal with whatever issues are preventing you signing up on FaceBook and get on the groups on there. You don't need to use your real name or give any real details.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm 
New Poster

Thanks, its not an issue signing up for a account, just not really my thing

i have very limited time and can usually find something more important to do
rather than spend hours going though posts

but it seems that unfortunately this is going to be what ill have to do

are there any particular places/sites i should be looking at?
i really don't want to waste time trawling Face puke pages if i can help it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 am 
Club Staff

You used to be able to buy replacement doors for the ST205 from Toyota dealers as I had to replace the drivers door on mine due to rust which was particularly bad along the lower seam. This is a known corrosion hot spot on the ST205.

As Sirius has already mentioned most of the secondhand parts are now posted by breakers on Facebook groups rather than eBay or web sites. You just have to do the leg work online if you want to track down panels. You also have to be careful with what is being offered as it is quite common to find breakers simply chopping through the rubber boot wiring loom between the door frame and the door itself. They also tend to strip the glass, motors, locks and all the other stuff out of the doors.

I'd suggest giving Paul Pridham at TCB Parts (http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/) a call on 01579 383879 as he is very knowledgeable regarding what parts are still available from Toyota and also may have stock, or know of, secondhand panels.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm 
New Poster

thanks for the advise, i would assume and parts from Toyota direct would be ridiculously price
so not an option really

i agree with what you say about Ebay sellers, especially with regards to describing/supplying
parts of this nature

i think as you say, its just a case of getting on Face puke and looking

unfortunately i don't have a great deal of time, to do this sort of thing
so i will really make the effort to try and get this done

except for TCB are there any Face puke site worth looking at in particular?

ive used TCB before and had no problems with trevors help and service at all, but my last experience with TCB/Paul
didn't go down too well, when i was supplied with brake parts that were defective (new)
and was told i should have (made them fit) he even suggested my mechanic was trying to make money off me
by trying to supply his own parts, little did he know the mechanic is a close friend and that i supply my own parts
(for convince) also the pattern part (same as i ordered from them) was actually cheaper supplied by my mechanic
also the car had to be left in his garage for an extra day (i didn't get charged) where he lost a day of not being able to book
in another car

so to say the least, having spend ££££ with TCB in the past, i wont be using them again, even if they were giving
away free rust free doors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm 
New Poster

thanks for the advise, i would assume and parts from Toyota direct would be ridiculously price
so not an option really

i agree with what you say about Ebay sellers, especially with regards to describing/supplying
parts of this nature

i think as you say, its just a case of getting on Face puke and looking

unfortunately i don't have a great deal of time, to do this sort of thing
so i will really make the effort to try and get this done

except for TCB are there any Face puke site worth looking at in particular?

ive used TCB before and had no problems with trevors help and service at all, but my last experience with TCB/Paul
didn't go down too well, when i was supplied with brake parts that were defective (new)
and was told i should have (made them fit) he even suggested my mechanic was trying to make money off me
by trying to supply his own parts, little did he know the mechanic is a close friend and that i supply my own parts
(for convince) also the pattern part (same as i ordered from them) was actually cheaper supplied by my mechanic
also the car had to be left in his garage for an extra day (i didn't get charged) where he lost a day of not being able to book
in another car

so to say the least, having spend ££££ with TCB in the past, i wont be using them again, even if they were giving
away free rust free doors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am 
Club Staff

Regarding Toyota prices I wouldn't just ignore that route, at the very least you will find out if the parts are still available and how much they are. The price from Toyota can be quite unpredictable with the items you think are going to be mega expensive are reasonably priced and those you think would be cheap are very expensive. You might be pleasantly surprised. If nothing else it will also be a good comparison against the breakers price.

I usually buy the genuine Toyota parts if I can. You know you are getting the right part. There are surprising differences between the JDM and UK cars and also between the facelift versions. Pattern parts may be cheaper but that's usually for a reason. Sometimes the original part is no longer available so pattern is the only option. You just have to be careful and avoid the dodgy Chinese stuff. Remember these cars cost over £30,000 when new 23 years ago and have never been cheap to run.

I would be reluctant to recommend any breaker in particular as people have their own experiences of them, good and bad. The sad reality is that social media has really taken over from car club web site forums these days so most use Facebook. It's great for easy communication but a nightmare if you're trying to search for information, that's where web sites still hold the high ground.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm 
New Poster

Hi and thanks for your view, i cant agree more about your comments

with regards to toyota pricing as you mention, some basic things are ridiculously expensive
and other things you'd expect to be expensive turn out to be quite reasonable

i also buy OE toyota when needed i also buy blue print parts where there is no issue with
fitment or performance

as far as Face puck goes, i do realise that 99% of the planet uses this communication platform
but as mentioned ive very limited time to go through the amount of Bs on there

i feel i will just have to give it a go and so what happens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 am 
Clubman

Hi mate go on to celica-club.co.uk most of the breakers on on that forum. saves going on face book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 am 
New Poster

hally wrote:
Hi mate go on to celica-club.co.uk most of the breakers on on that forum. saves going on face book.

Hi and thanks for the heads up, being honest its been sometime since i used that site
but from what i can remember they`er quite a good bunch all round

as mentioned will be better than having to look through face puke,
will put some requests out on there and see what happens thanks