www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Post subject: Oil pump leak
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:23 am 
New Poster

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Hi all

I plan to change the timing belt and sort a oil leak coming from the oil pump area on the CS over the xmas holidays.I plan on replacing the cam seals, crank seal and oil pump gasket when I'm in there. What's involved in changing the gasket and does the pump need to be removed from the car? Any info from anyone who has done this job welcome.

Post subject: Re: Oil pump leak
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
One of the common leaks from that area is the gasket between the pump housing and block. To change this requires sump removal - not the end of the world but quite a bit of work - both crossmembers off to access all the bolts. These hold 2 of the 4 engine mounts but thankfully on the gen 5 no suspension or steering parts. The ones I've come across, all the fixing bolts are loose but tightening them doesn't stop the leak as the gasket will have been damaged by the oil leakage.

If you're lucky it will be crank seal, pump seal or the gasket between the pump and pump housing - this is a special round rubber seal available from TCB or Toyota. These can all be changed without removing the oil filter housing or sump.

IMO - buy all the gaskets ready, take the covers off and investigate exactly where the oil is coming from. If it's not coming from the back of the oil pump housing then just torque down the fixing bolts and change the remaining seals / gasket. Don't be tempted to use silicon / instant gasket - it won't hold back the oil pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm 
New Poster

Thanks for reply, hopefully it will be one of the other seals and not the oil pump gasket, in the process of looking up part numbers so I can ring my local dealer tomorrow.
Going to start stripping it down the weekend hopefully. I'll keep ye posted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
It's worth contacting TCB - www.tcbparts.co.uk who are very knowledgeable and carry most of these parts in stock. Excellent service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Darbre - check carefully where the oil is coming from, it's often difficult to find the source of the leak - I've recently changed the seal around the pump to pump housing gasket as that was mis-behaving... I've not seen a pump to block seal fail before

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 am 
New Poster

Finally got around to this job over the last few days. Once stripped down it was very obvious the oil pump shaft seal was leaking, the crank seal looked wet around the edges also. I also changed the seal behind oil pump cover which was hardened with age and broke in pieces once removed. So the stage I'm at now is to but everything back together and hope it's sorted or keep going and replace the pump/block gasket. I can see no obvious signs it's leaking from the gasket, but went I removed the bolts for the oil pump cover I noticed a lot of oil on the threads of one of them. Would this indicate that the gasket could be leaking in that area? The bolt in question is directly under oil pump shaft seal, I wonder has oil just seeped into it over time and gathered there.