www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
I do most of the work on the 4 in the garden, if i can.. means i can keep an eye on the nipper too..

Of course i was thinking of the green issues when i washed it too ;-)

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:38 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Looking very nice mate. Nice to have all the bits, but nightmare they were fitted/set-up poorly. Glad you're getting it sorted :)

As to the EBC pads, Green Stuff are too soft for the Four, Yellow Stuff are really race pads so wont warm up on the road - Red Stuff are the ones to go for being in the middle of those :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I have red stuff on my MTB :D
Can't fault them

The Mondy was also running red on the front and they seemed to work well although I suspect yellow would suit that better as it's underbraked and cooks up from a single 90mph stop :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 am 
Junior WRC

I've got redstuff on them now - sam as my old 4, nice and cheap and good stoppers so far. I'll see how well they perform under stress soon i hope

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:24 pm 
Junior WRC

Ok now i have the low down from JP AKA diceman, who found that the injectors are maxing out at high revs. So I now know i need to get larger capacity injectors.
As well as these injectors, i'm going to get together a shopping list but first a few questions:

I'm contemplating fitting forged pistons as a way of protecting my investment - not so that i can add extra HP but just for peace of mind.
Question is - is it possible to fit pistons alone.. what’s involved and what’s the potential drawbacks, am I going down the wrong route?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:52 pm 
Club Staff

Oh teh slippery Slope looms!

I woudl suggets that your target bhp will dictate the necesity for teh forged pistons. Upto 350 and you shoudl be Ok with a good tune and supporting mods such as fuelling (injectors & Fuel pump) cooloing ( such as FMIC and possibly water injection if you are taht way inclined!) efficient and free flowing turbo with inlet & Exhaust.

It seems you have all of teh above excluding the injectors. The turbo is likely to be limited to circa 360bhp and hence may be the need for forged pistons should come later with the Garrett ball bearing turbo. :-)

Fitting forged pistons can be done three ways as far as I am concerned.
1) el cheapo - leave block in car and try and roughly size the new pistons to the bores - this is really not the way to do it and I would suggest the money is not worth spending on this route. You wll still be looking at a bill of circa £1000 for thsi including pistons at a guess so noty that cheap and you could screw up your block & new pistons if they are sized incorrectly.
2) Stage 1 rebuild - complete bottom end rebuild with balanced bottom end & maybe some rods Add in as many ARP products as you can find and relax knowing you have a sturdy bottom end.

3) Stage 2 rebuild - ADD TO ABOVE cams, large ferrea valves & uprated springs, ported head, etc etc.

In all honesty the expense of a rebuild is not going to be significantly more if it HAS to be done due to a failed engien than doing it as preventative. Your car running 350 bhp with larger injectors will be bloody quick m8. try that as it is cheap in comparison and then see if you need more!

all IMHO ofcourse and TBh this is the course I am taking so I could be biased!

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 pm 
Junior WRC

Thanks for the info - i believe that the cams have been changed and the head port matched. So as far as my shopping list goes...

Injectors
WI
Engine mounts
Remap - sheesh!

Already have a uprated fuel pump and regulator

hopefully that'll be enough to keep me going..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:11 pm 
Club Staff

Rob - why the fuel pressure regulator? imho this is ot required unless you are running huge injectors or a different rail?

With the SARD 800cc injectors a different rail is not required and a replacement FPR is also not required.

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:21 pm 
Junior WRC

I've already got the fuel regulator - came with the car, so should i sell it. When i was at Thor they said it would be a 'good addition' to compliment larger injectors, they also told me to stay away from SARD - any ideas why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:10 pm 
Club Staff

If you have the regulator then great! Even better if it already installed!

Was just thinking that money may be spent elsewhere first before a "better" regulator was installed?

SARD - seems that quite a few owners run them. Haven't heard of any problems? Wonder why they have said that?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:24 pm 
Junior WRC

I think its due to some history of Thors - not sure what or why..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am 
Group N

I have Sard 850 jectors, Sard High flow fuel pump matched to the jectors & a Sard fuel reg (None of it fitted yet :roll: :lol: ).

Most tuners in Japan will only use Sard products.

Did you also know that the Blitz fuel parts are just re-badged Sard items, or so I am told anyway.

ST205 WRC #0002249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 am 
Group N

I had some problems with a Sard FPR when I had my E-manage fitted. Damn thing just refused to work properly and in the end they ripped it out and sent it back for a refund. Then I bought an Aeromotive one and its still waiting to be fitted :oops: Not much point at the mo though really as I'm still running stock 'jectors etc :roll:

Cheers,
Mark

"Don't make me come over there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:45 pm 
Club Staff

:oops: :oops: Like Mark's my Aeromotive FPR has performed flawlessly, sitting in it's box on top of the TV :oops: :oops:

AFAIK Aeromotive are considered amongst the best and it is the only one I would fit. Which is why I have one albeit a TV ornament :D

However, I suspect SARD (which are possible rebadged Denso looking at JPs SARD800s when we fitted them) would be good. Mark's real world experience would tend to disagree though and I'd trust that most of all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:09 pm 
Junior WRC

I've just spoken to Thor - they say to fit the regulator as it may be restrictive without it (maybe..?) So i might as well fit it as i have it here - its an areomotive too, with a nice dial on the top. They are also saying to use denso injectors as they have a typically better flow rate on most of their installations.
But i can't seem to find the right part number for the 3s-gte, anyone got any ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next