www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 pm

Post subject: PCV hosing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:53 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
I managed to crack a couple of PVC (oily mist vacuum hoses) whilst taking my rocker cover off my 165 to regasket and clean yesterday and am going to use a piece of 4mm braided PVC fuel line for one and some 12mm rubber heater hose for the other, can anyone see a problem?

Only has to be tempory as i'll likely source and find a host of spare hose soon and slowly replace everything that's there, noticed that the water hose that goes through the throttle body (well presume it has water / fluid in it as it's corroded) was quite bad too.

What do you guys use for various things?

Cheers,

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 pm 
Group N

standard rubber hose from a motorfactors.

its only got coolant or warm gasses running through it, hardly hi-spec requirements :)

i have removed and bypassed the throttle body heater hose btw.

Sprint ST165 aka "The 500BHP Sledgehammer" #6 in the Toyota Sprint Series. GT3071 1.9bar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:40 pm 
Group N

Hi Jamie

As andycaca says, just get some bog standard stuff.

Come on, spill the beans lol...how'd it go? Any nice or nasty surprises :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:21 pm 
New Poster

Hey hey,

Nasty surprises? Not yet... I have misslaid an 8mm socket that I can't find for love nor money though!

New plugs, leads, dizzy & rotor fitted. The leads were original, plugs were a light brown (haven't checked but seemed fine) and the rotor / dizzy were VERY corroded & worn.

Cleaned out IC and rocker cover with petrol and ye olde toothbrush, and replaced rocker cover gaskets (used some instant gasket too, although not sure if needeed) cleaned up the oil on the heat shield etc with WD40 (not ideal).

Replaced the broken hoses, and fitted a Halfords homebrew oil catch tank (although the drain on mine was free - bunged it with some spare fish tank hose and bits I had hanging around), fitted a blocked off Samco T-Piece (a couple of you have used this before I believe ;)) and finished off in the dark tonight using a lamp.

Started first time :D Need to have a short run and check coolant - although I seem to be ok and have cleared 54.

Still have my 51 which i'll post about seperately.

Bad news 1: I cleared the ECU and it would stall on tickover if I let it, running smoothly enough at 1k plus RPM but as it was around 9pm and my daughter was asleep above the gargage and my next door neighbour has a tiny baby I thought it best to check in the morning, hoping it's ok after a run.

Did seem to be around 4-600 before and has recently cut out in traffic.

Bad news 2: I sheared one of the bolts on the IC to the head :( Not a lot I can do about it atm though, hey ho.

Least it started - that was by far the most i've ever done on my own before! Till now service items and refurbing all the brakes on my MR2 was my limit :) So quite chuffed, took loads of pictures and may get around to writing a guide if anyone's interested?

Being dragged to bed now ;)

Jamie.

PS - Andy - Rhino - Kris & Loosey + Itchy if he's about - I couldn't have done it without you, cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:36 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If the hose has to deal with oil mist then it will eventually degrade unless its fluoro lined. This is something I wasn't aware of when I bought the Samco induction pipe for my ST205 so its now severely discoloured due to the oil mist from the PCV system :(

For smaller diameter applications you can get Nitrile braided fuel hose which will resist attack by oil mist and fuel. Its more expensive but will last longer. There seems to be only a limited range of oil resistant Samco type blue hose available.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:22 am 
New Poster

That's interesting Don, I only became of that yesterday after looking at the Viper site and hence my question.

I'm not sure how the fuel hose I have (as it was just labeled PVC fuel hose) will perform but it will be interesting as I think it looks quite nice compared to silicon hosing or standard black rubber :)