www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

Post subject: ...So its been a while!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Hi Guys,

If any of you remember me i'm the numpty that attempted to salvage a money pit of a GT4, but it seems now is the time i must admit defeat. Im not sure really where to start but i will give it ago. Theres a bit of life story in here too but the bottom line is some advice on course of action would be appreciated.

1 and a half years ago the car was actually running (after a pretty comprehensive rebuild) it ran it in fine and it went back for final mapping. For whatever reason this didn't get sorted very quickly and as we progressed towards winter i just said leave it till new year (2012)

In Feb 2012 my ex partner at the time (i'll get to that later :( ) wrote off 16k of BMW 123d coupe under the influence, as a result we got no insurance pay out and had to stump up the balance (circa 10k) to BMW finance. A traumatic time to say the least.

With no car, the Celica needed to be working and fast, mapping commenced and i did have a dyno graph knocking on the door of 400bhp on the power run. There were some final tweaks that needed to be done so i was planning to pick it up the week later.

During those tweaks... supposedly he turbo let go (probably the last remaining component from when i bought the sodding thing!) Still to this day i am unsure whether there is actually any deeper issues with the car than the turbo.

With no more money to throw at it i halted any work till further notice. So it sat untouched again....

Trakwerks (the firm that have the car) got some really bad press during the tail end of last year. After reading it i decided that i would be removing from there as soon as i moved to somewhere i had space to work on it myself, or it could just sit there till i had the money to get someone else to take it on.

I moved with my (ex) partner into a house with large enough drive in Nov 2012 and as soon as we were settled i planned to get the car moved up.

In January 2013 after nearly 3 years together we separated (not nice circumstances but you don't need details) I end up moving back into my dads house and there isnt room for the car here... :(

3 weeks ago i got a call from Trakwerks that they are selling up. I have some time as it wont be for a couple of months but basically i need to do something about it. Like i said i wasnt willing to give them (not that i have any!) more money after what i have read.

Theres lots there. What would you do in my shoes? I personally think its time to move on, im not bothered about making much money back on it, just need to draw a line under it now and move on, but how do i go about giving it a value?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hi Chris, long time no hear. Sorry to hear the trials and tribulations :(
To summarise, I gather the car is sitting, immobile at Trackwerks with a suspected blown turbo? You could fit a secondhand turbo and then you would be able to offer the car for sale as a runner. The alternative would be to break the car. It is an unfortunate fact that you will probably get more cash back doing this. One of our guys did this with his ST205 with the help of others over a few weekends.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:16 am 
Junior WRC

As above the cars do not fetch good money at all - breaking it is deff best option if you can do it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 am 
WRC

and also agree there, modified fours that are not running either won't fetch barely anything, less than 2k I would imagine.

In saying that I have seen some very good priced stock cars at over 5k... but then as we have said, our altered cars fetch more in parts than in whole. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 pm 
Group N

Thanks guys, pretty much as i suspected....

Don, that route isnt really an option as i'd need another turbo with a T3 (i think!) footprint as the exhaust comes out the wing (with no usual CT20 down pipe etc), and as said even if i did i cant be 100% that that is the end of the problem.

I need to get some up to date photos and try and put together the full spec list. I am just not sure where i can put the car during the breaking process, which is why i would be more willing to just hand it over to someone, even if it was at significant loss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am 
Club Staff

Hi Chris, Sorry to hear of your woes. I have sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 pm 
Group N

Replied Mike, Apologies for the delay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm 
Group N

For those that don't know the car here is a pic with the projectors on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm 
Club Staff

Sorry to hear of your issues Vindz. I can understand wanting/needing rid but hope things improve & you stay in touch.

ATB
JP

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
Group N

Thanks JP, its more needing than wanting im afraid, for the comparitively little its worth as a lump id rather keep it but my circumstances are heavilly stacked against me.

I am still in the BMW crew, as i did get a replacement 123d 6 months after the incident. Once the Celica goes i think i will have cravings for a petrol again im sure, ill have to fight the "man maths" though as i can see myself doing something stupid like financing a 1M coupe in a couple years lol (allthough im shuddering thinking about the tyre costs as my 123d eats them quite quickly as is!)

Hope you are well buddy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:23 pm 
Club Staff

There's some cracking leases going on the M135i at the moment. 90% of the ///M for 60% of the budget

If it were me
1) Change the oil and pan the old for copper/debris/signs of grief
2) Compression and leak down test
3) HC sniffer test
If everything checked out and it sounds OK running, not knocking bearings etc I'd get the turbo checked out and rebuilt. There's a good chance a few quid invested will produce a running car that has a resale value. That's pretty much what I did with my red celica

Otherwise break it but that will be a pain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm 
Club Staff

two_OH_five wrote:
There's some cracking leases going on the M135i at the moment. 90% of the ///M for 60% of the budget

If it were me
1) Change the oil and pan the old for copper/debris/signs of grief
2) Compression and leak down test
3) HC sniffer test
If everything checked out and it sounds OK running, not knocking bearings etc I'd get the turbo checked out and rebuilt. There's a good chance a few quid invested will produce a running car that has a resale value. That's pretty much what I did with my red celica

Otherwise break it but that will be a pain

I think Steve hit the nail on the head. The main fear is the turbo has damaged the engine or you have been fed some porky pies and the donk failed and hence it is better to at least get to the bottom of it before sale.

I wonder is an M diff would help tyre wear? I guess it is not just the torque that shreds the tyres but the throttle response is likely to make it more difficult to feather the throttle? I am still a bit undecided about the 1M looks wise.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm 
Group N

I love the way the 1M looks, its like mine pumped full of steroids. I saw one in Cooper Reading a few weeks back (had to stop and salivate over it for a good few mins)

Yes i take pictures of everything (being a full time photographer does that to you)

I think a Diff would help alot actually, just the other day i thought that. The throttle response is pretty funny to be honest, its akin to placing an order for some torque, which will be along shortly. I am well used to planting foot a good half second before i need it lol

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:28 pm 
New Poster

I have been wondering for quite a few months why this particular ST205 "vanished" after just a couple of Youtube videos and the magazine article about it (which was where, Redline? JP? Banzai?) but now I know. Sorry to hear of your troubles Chris. I hope your awesome ST205 finds a good home with someone who will eventually give it the track time it deserves!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm 
Group N

Just so everyone is aware the car is now on Ebay :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221259594688&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Feel free to contact me direct if anyone wants to make and offer.

Also, I'd just like to say thanks for all the help and support from the DC club members over the time of owning both my GT4's i miss the old days sometimes.