www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 pm

Post subject: Bavarian Motor Woes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
A grand day out indeed although karma gave me a nip in the nether regions for laughing at Mr Gilburn when De Deutsche Panzer broke on the way home. On a real roll here at the moment :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
two_OH_five wrote:
A grand day out indeed although karma gave me a nip in the nether regions for laughing at Mr Gilburn when De Deutsche Panzer broke on the way home. On a real roll here at the moment :cry:

Oh dear, nothing serious I hope.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:06 pm 
Club Staff

Has suffered failure of ABS, TCS, EBD, DSC and a hatful of other TLAs. The dash is lit up like Blackpool and cruise control doesn't.

Probably all related to a failure of a single something in the ABS system after a bit of enthusiastic braking to beat an Amber light on a T junction although I wasn't aware of any ABS intervention during the manoeuvre

It's proving to be the most unrewarding, unreliable car I've owned and the goes like stink factor isn't really compensating. The 7k miles this year have involved 6 dealer visits :cry:

It might be time to chop it in for a something that inspires a bit more confidence that I'll make the destination without a two day visit to a dealer - a Trevor would have been a better bet so far :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm 
Group B

You may find an older beemer more reliable. I know on the bikes they started outsourcing a fair bit to china in the last decade and were suffering from poor quality as a result.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 pm 
Club Staff

Oh dear :( ....should provide some fertile ground for discussion round the LM24 camp fire this week :?:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm 
Club Staff

Ooof, to be fair the issue probably sounds worse than it is, still not expected on anew-ish low-ish miles car though and poor show.

Sounds like it is probably wheel speed sensor related? It is the only item I can think of that is linked to all the controls and could be damaged by heavy braking. (shouldn't be but heh!)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:
Heavy braking?
....Enzo would not be impressed. He thought any driver that needed brakes was a woose!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:08 am 
Club Staff

Diceman wrote:
Ooof, to be fair the issue probably sounds worse than it is, still not expected on anew-ish low-ish miles car though and poor show.

Sounds like it is probably wheel speed sensor related? It is the only item I can think of that is linked to all the controls and could be damaged by heavy braking. (shouldn't be but heh!)

Worst part is I suspect there's no actual issue. It has overtones of another software glitch like the one that lit everything up and said the rear brake pads needed changing 150,000 miles ago on a car with 47k on the clock.

The really really annoying thing is I have an early k-can crossover car which is 6 years out of date on updates but BMW won't do a full system update unless I pay for it. Instead they prefer to patch individual modules as they suffer brainfarts and I get more determined I will never buy BMW again. So this time it's in for an alarm update to prevent the tealeaves highlighted on watchdog, hopefully a gearbox update to get rid of thumpy changes in manual mode (a well known issue) and probably a chassis dynamics upgrade unless it's suffered the infamous Teves ABS pump failure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 am 
Group B

I hope this is all being done for free, otherwise I would suggest contacting watchdog yourself.

to be honest I'd chop it in and look at Japanese. Alternatively if you're getting a car made in the third world anyway you may as well pay third world prices and go KIA or skoda. You can probably buy new for the same money as a secondhand Beemer and get 5 or more years warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:22 pm 
Club Staff

I have yet to hand over a single shekel.

When I bought the car I negotiated a 3 year warranty instead of one thinking it was a zero cost option for them and peace of mind for me.
Now I understand why it was such a sticking point :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 pm 
Club Staff

Hmm,
Magically between reporting the issue yesterday and dropping the car off today it's been flagged as due the semi annual brake fluid flush

I wonder if this is bet hedging or just profiteering - I can't very well skip that when I'm reporting brake related issues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:15 pm 
Group B

two_OH_five wrote:
I have yet to hand over a single shekel.

When I bought the car I negotiated a 3 year warranty instead of one thinking it was a zero cost option for them and peace of mind for me.
Now I understand why it was such a sticking point :cry:

Unfortunately I'm seeing similar stories about the newer BMW bikes. Seals failing, bearings failing, electronics failing etc. People seeing bills of £1K - 2K within 10K miles. As always, many or even most are fine, but there are common failures and BMW just seem to keep charging top dollar for more of the same.

p.s. - make damn sure you're shot of it before the 3 years is up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:50 pm 
Club Staff

The question is will you be financially better off ditching it now or later after more depreciation.

If you are really unhappy with it then stomaching a large lump of depreciation may hurt much more. I suspect (a guess of sensibility) that Steve intended to keep the car until it became uneconomic to repair rather than chopping it in for something newer/more swanky in 2-3 years time.

Unfortunately I think a lot of manufacturers have flaky reliability with early models in a range and tend to use the buying public as the test vehicles. The main difference I think is BMWs attitude toward manufacturing/design issues - they just ignore them. I have been lucky to date with my car with the only failure being a cracked rear suspension spring (which is rife and almost a gaurenteed failure) yet BMW refuse do anything unless your car is in warranty. The new parts suffer the same problem! I think it is a european thing, renault I remember had a major failure of bonnet catches on the Clio and refused for years to acknowledge it. At the end of the day there is a monetary value of a life in the event of failure according to company risk procedures and maybe the accountant has establish the recall would cost more than the predicted payout due to people being killed in their vehicle. If it is just a reliability issue then you are buggered.

Toyota & Honda seem to be the best I have experienced and unless I bought an old E39 M5 or maybe an M3 CSL then I would not buy another german car newer than mine.

If you compare this to the way that the japs treat recalls or issues it is a world apart.

I am not sure if steve has any options WRT rejecting the car but I suspect it is a multitude of different faults and being a used car he may be buggered.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:54 pm 
Group B

Diceman wrote:
I think it is a european thing, renault I remember had a major failure of bonnet catches on the Clio and refused for years to acknowledge it. At the end of the day there is a monetary value of a life in the event of failure according to company risk procedures and maybe the accountant has establish the recall would cost more than the predicted payout due to people being killed in their vehicle. If it is just a reliability issue then you are buggered.

Funnily enough, I had a letter from Renault a few months back - sent recorded delivery - explaining to me how important it is for me to honour my duty as owner to keep the bonnet catch regularly serviced and in good working order. Seemed a bit strange on an 11 year old car, and particularly that the bonnet catch might be more important than the brakes or steering.

Being a cynical old git, I came to the conclusion that the Renault designers must have dropped one and the bonnets are prone to flying open.

Funny what you say about BMW just churning out the same old faulty bits to replace the failed ones and charging an arm & leg for them. I see a recurring theme.

e.g.
Quote:
The sorry saga of 1200GS/GSA fuel pump controller failures (410 so far)
A few things prompted me to start this thread. I've had three direct experiences of fuel pump controller failures in Morocco. One in Azrou to Seatownmaster who had to ship his bike back to Spain in a van, one to me in Chefchaouen where I was rescued by Bob Wilson who rode to my rescue with a spare, and one to a World of BMW 'tourist' in Meknes.

Then I found out about PaulM who was stranded for two weeks in Tajikistan and was about to air freight his bike back to Turkey.

The final straw was reading TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) where the brand new 1200GSA that they borrowed from BMW for a back-to-back test with a KTM 990 failed after a couple of hundred miles. So this is obviously still a current problem that hasn't been sorted.

Enough is enough. It's time for BMW to produce A PROPER FIX for the problem, and if this isn't immediately viable, in the meantime to reduce the cost of the spare part to a couple of quid so that those who are concerned can carry a spare, rather than the £76.94 that is reported to be the current price (after a 64% price increase)

Quote:
The End is Nigh
After a long, far too long, litany of failures from my GS Adventure, it will benefit from one final repair before being sold to some poor unsuspecting individual and I am going to find another manufacturer, who may be as bad but not worse.

My final drive oil seal, replaced last May, has given up once again.

Add that to rear wheel bearings, rear shock absorber, handlebar switch failure, the inability of a certain mechanic to set up a bike properly from the outset and various other minor gripes, and you end up with an unreliable, expensive ornament on which no-one can depend.

This time the failure occurred in Thurso.

It has had its chance. Four years and 2 MOTs (last one failed due to an LED indicator failing), 30880 miles, and it has been great to ride. Shame about not always arriving though.

I should have spent more time reading the reviews and stayed away from the marque altogether.

Ho-hum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
Club Staff

The beast is back after a mere 2000 squids worth of remedial work to replace half the ABS system and some reprogramming according to the worksheet :shock: