www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

Post subject: Hellup!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
A blast from the past hello to one and all :) First up, hope everyone is well and happy, still enjoying their 'Fours and life in general? Have to admit, I've missed you guys :mrgreen: But all soppiness aside, to the main point of this post - after a marathon (2 year+!) negotiation with my better half, I have finally managed to get her to agree to my having a second car for fun on the condition that it isn't another GT-Four moneypit :roll: :lol: So since we've now moved house and I finally have a garage (YES!!), I need to fill the space with car before it ends up full of general household junk as most garages end up :lol: To that end I was originally going to build myself a loony V8 Cobra replica (which although a potentially HUGE moneypit, is NOT a GT-Four - see how I got round that little condition? :P :mrgreen: ), but due to changes in employment and finances this isn't possible yet, so that project is once more on the back burner. What I can afford to do though is restore a nice little Toyota - namely an '89 MR2 Mk1b. I always wanted one, and now a nice chap in the UK IMOC has one up for sale and I've provisionally agreed to have it off him. The only issue is that it's currently SORN with no tax or MOT so will need to be trailered from his place back to mine so work can commence. To that end, I was just wondering whether any of you motley crew might either have a suitable car trailer I could beg, borrow or steal to get the job done, or at least know of a decent, reasonably priced rental/hire solution? I know it's cheeky after such a long break to wade right in with asking a favour, but then what are friends for eh? :wink: Anyhoo, both my email address and mobile number haven't changed so anyone who still has them is welcome to call/mail me, otherwise just reply to the thread or PM me here. I'll keep an eye on the forum and if all works out I'll also keep you guys up to date with any progress with the project if anyone is interested :) Apart from that, all the best to one and all - stay safe, and may your intake temps remain cool despite the blinding heat! 8)

Cheers,
Mark

"Don't make me come over there"

Post subject: Re: Hellup!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:26 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hey Mark!

When are you looking at getting this done and where is the car currently?

Glad to hear you are doing well. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 pm 
Group N

Sirius wrote:
Hey Mark!

When are you looking at getting this done and where is the car currently?

Glad to hear you are doing well. :D

Hi Mike - thanks for responding :D The car is currently in Kent (Walderslade to be more precise), and the guy is happy to work around me since I'm having to sort out the transport etc. for it. For him though this weekend would be good, though since he works mainly from home he could work around another day if necessary. If I can blag a trailer rather than hire one though then I'm happy to work around that tbh - so looks like everything is nice and flexible on all sides really :wink: If I could fit it in around this weekend though then would probably be the ideal - sooner back, sooner I can get started stripping it down and finding out just how much restoration work the beasty is going to need :| Hopefully it'll be more fun than not though whatever the case :D

Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 pm 
Club Staff

Hi Mark, long time no hear but good that you've negotiated a toy to play with if you pardon the pun ;-)

I still have my trailer for another couple of weeks although the lights are not working on it. I am out all this weekend but if you want to get in touch I'll PM you my number.

P.S. Not sure about a Mk1 MR2 not being a money pit. They're a bit like ST165's in the body department. If you've found a good one though that's great.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 pm 
Group N

TrackToyFour wrote:
Hi Mark, long time no hear but good that you've negotiated a toy to play with if you pardon the pun ;-)

Pun duly pardoned - I would have said the same myself :mrgreen: Good to hear from you 8)

TrackToyFour wrote:
I still have my trailer for another couple of weeks although the lights are not working on it. I am out all this weekend but if you want to get in touch I'll PM you my number.

Now that's good news - except about the lights. Any idea what's wrong and whether it'll be an easy fix? Don't exactly fancy the idea of being rear-ended with an MR2 in tow :shock: Just checked and your number is the same one I had in my phone's contact list which is a bonus - I'll give you a call though for sure ta :D

TrackToyFour wrote:
P.S. Not sure about a Mk1 MR2 not being a money pit. They're a bit like ST165's in the body department. If you've found a good one though that's great.

Oh I'm sure there is a definite possibility it could try and pit me, though I'm hoping it won't turn out to be as bad as the 'Four :roll: Either way I'm just looking forward to having a Toyota to play with again :D

Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:55 pm 
Club Staff

Hey Mark,
Great to see you back in the saddle!
Hannibal is still well :-) although currently on a SORN again

I bet the Mr2 will be fun, especially once the GZE conversion is done and the ecu is mapped :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:05 am 
Group N

two_OH_five wrote:
Hey Mark,
Great to see you back in the saddle!
Hannibal is still well :-) although currently on a SORN again

Hi Steve - hope you're well? What's the little beggar gone and done now? Thrown it's teddies out of the pram or awaiting something in the way of tweakage? :twisted:

two_OH_five wrote:
I bet the Mr2 will be fun, especially once the GZE conversion is done and the ecu is mapped :lol:

Now, now - stop tempting me!!!! :lol: :twisted: SWMBO would deffo not like the sound of that....so I guess it'll have to be a stealth job.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm 
Club Staff

The car is fine, I just ran out of rsed when it needed a mot :-(

Post subject: Re: Hellup! - Update
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 pm 
Group N

Quick update for one and all - (huge) thanks to Don and his (for the moment at least!) trusty trailer, I am now the owner of a poor little Mica blue Mk1 MR2 in need of lots of TLC :shock: :lol: She/he/it is tucked up in my garage at the mo while I try and figure out the most pressing requirements to get it through an MOT (welding, welding and err a bit more welding? Cam belt, new rad, service etc etc etc :roll: ) and then back on the road - it should be easier then to run it as a rolling restoration project.

FAO Mike - Don suggested I have a chat with you concerning workshop space, lift access & tools etc. so please PM me with contact details as and when and hopefully we can arrange a chat/meet up to see what can be worked out - be good to get the little monkey back on the road before the rain/winter sets in as I have a feeling it won't be quite so sure footed in the wet etc. as the 'Four was :wink:

Best to all,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:19 pm 
Club Staff

Glad to help out Mark. Always liked the little 4A-GE roller skate (aka AW11 MR2 ;-)) All the basics seemed to work on the car. Although it may be tempting to strip the whole car into component parts I bet my bottom dollar you'd never get it back together again. If you get the MOT failure items sorted get it off SORN and road legal then you can tackle each bit of the 'rolling restoration' as and when time and finances permit but at least the car will be a runner. My 2p! Hopefully RaRshop at Emsworth will be of help.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp