www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Convertible, AWD and turbo...they can't be all bad?? Don't worry I'm not jumping ship to go and cut hair, My mother really wants one.

So I'm having to infiltrate a whole new car community in order to find the pitfalls of ownership. It's very hard talking to TT owners when all you want to say is...yes but why don't you have a GT-Four? So to help get some different opinions- any seasoned faffers here with previous Quattro TT experiences?

Thoughts? Costs? Problems? Good bits/bad bits?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:06 pm 
Club Staff

The very early Audi TT's had a handling issue which fired a few into the central reservation crash barriers :shock: Audi were a bit tight lipped about the changes they made but I understand that the addition of the rear spoiler and some changes to the unloved Haldex 4WD system fixed the problem. One of my friends has had one for the last three or four years and seems happy enough with it. There's also been talk of introducing them into club level rallying as a way of reducing costs for those wanting 4WD fun. Running ex-WRC machinery isn't cheap!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:33 pm 
Group N

I'm not mad on them personally, they lack the design flare that jap cars have. However my Mother has wanted a mk1 since they were first released. Ah I was wondering what Haldex actually was, the TT owners were referring to it and I had no idea what they meant. They might be quite good as an affordable rally car and to be honest I would quite happily thrash one over something that I actually liked. If I ever had the coin to do Nurembergring (yes I know I have spelt it wrong-It's because they trial so many cars on it)
I would buy something like a TT or an impreza, something fast, fun, but ultimately worthless/10 a penny.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 pm 
Group N

just read up on haldex system....The mind boggles, what were they thinking making it FWD biased, luckily there is a controller that send more drive to the rear automatically.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:04 am 
Club Staff

Good bits - it's a golf in a frock with 4wd
Bad bits - it's a golf in a frock with 4wd

Probably run forever if looked after and should provide reasonably reliable transport with a few electric gremlins cropping up now and again

The early mk1 versions combined a good aerofoil roofline with a flat floor to provide plenty of aero lift at high speed. Coupled with a good nose heavy design making the rear end go light this lead to the interesting high speed experience Don mentioned. Cured with a ducks bottom spoiler attached to the rear end iirc. I have a vague recollection of a software hiccup in the haldex being incriminated too. Something about switching power to the rear wheels as they were starting to come off the floor and loosing grip :lol:

I've only ever driven a mk1 version. It wasn't terrible but when pushed through twisty stuff it had (like the mk4 golf) comedic understeer where steering input became more of a polite suggestion than an attempt to navigate a corner

Find a decent example for a sensible price and I'd imagine it would serve a normal mum well. If your mum is Sabine Schmitz I'd look elsewhere...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 pm 
Group N

haha, well my Mum did used to have a 944 turbo back in the day. I may insist on an uprated rear anti roll bar and this haldex controller gadget. I think it should be a good fun car and naturally I hope to borrow it for a day, when the sun is shining. Thanks for the input, I also watched the wheeler dealers TT episode, so I have a feel for what to look for now. Golf in a frock is certainly the best description so far. I will use that in front of the dealer to try and drive the price down lol.
TBH they are not bad for the money, I just want to avoid another money pit.