www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

Post subject: Project Arsey Blog
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:35 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Most of you will know about my purchase of a dodgy pimped up ST185 RC which was in ill health when purchased and has required some TLC to get it to the events etc and seems to develop previously hidden faults for fun. Hence the "Project Arsey" title.

Hopefully this weekend my old black ST185 will be off to pastures new and hence I can start and strap on & un strap some goodies on the car hence thought I would start a mini-blog type thing.

My initial intention is/was for a cheap track toy, there is part of me that woudl like a totally standard Rc though (maybe with a boost tweak though!) so any thoughts or comments welcome.

I have acquired a few goodies that hopefully will make it onto the car:-
1) Tein HA Coilovers (will be cleaned up etc before fitment)
2) DTA S60 Pro & 800cc injectors - will take a while to learn how to map it from scratch but will be an interesting challenge.
3) Carbon seats (lose the mega weight motorised RC seats)
4) Carbon/GRP Bonnet (lose a bit more weight)
5) AC removal - with one of Kris's new AC removal pulleys
6) ST205 Brake Setup/custom bits to be decided.
7) Skyline intercooler in place of chargecooler.

My first task will be removal of the boom system :-
And I have ditched the 18" wheels for some more suiting OZ Superturismos. Old wheels Below.

At present the turbo is showing serious signs of wear/play and hence will have to either refurbed or time for a Garrett or Turbo Technics S175 or another S148??

I am also thinking about a roll cage (after seeing how effective even a cheap cage was at challenge day last year) and losing as much weight as is practical (but It needs to be from the right area.)

So I will keep you all posted and please feel free to come up with bright ideas.

Oh if anyone wants a Neon light...........

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:40 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Quote:
Garrett or Turbo Technics S175 or another S148??

For ease of fitment I still really like the TT turbos :)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:51 pm 
Club Staff

Wanna swap?
The Gt28Rs is still tempting as is the Gt3071R - I am just hoping that you or Don will provide feedback I can trust on the GT3071R soon enough.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:19 am 
Club Staff

Probably not soon enough for you, but with the final stage of decorating almost over, I think Kris may resume interests in his gt4 soon!

Project wiring loom needs to be completed before the turbo can be tested . . . but in reality, I shouldn't think that would take more than a few weeks?

Super White JDM ST205
http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:04 am 
Club Staff

I would also add to your list:

1. Engine coolant swirl pot
2. Engine coolant header tank
3. Power steering radiator (or Ford Transit type upgrade)
4. Golpher alloy engine radiator (or similar)
5. Engine oil radiator
6. Bespoke ducting for the above rads.

Remeber HEAT IS THE No.1 ENEMY in turbo engines so the above will help keep your motor in one piece :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:17 pm 
Club Staff

Well,
Have finally cracked on with project arsey.
Firstly removbal of the pimp daddy hifi system, it weighed a tonne and was a half decent job. With the fuse box for the amps I weighed the screws and that was cirac 1KG on its own! Shedloads of MDF, two amps, 1 farad power cap and 2 off 12 " subs = serious weight removal lol.

In order to remove the tonnes of cables I will need to remove the whole interior as they run all over the place to feed to teh front and rear components which I have yet to remove.

The turbo was a standard RC jobbie (larger than normal ST185 but slightly smaller than ST205) but had far too much play and woudl not make boost past 0.8 bar. It was blowing oil and would catch teh compressor housing (just) if it had been let to run dry of oil after being parked up so decided a new turbo was required before I drove it anymore - hence it has not been seen since japfest!

Anyway - I had a Skyline intercooler on teh shelf and had decided to go FMIC. Luckily I managed to pick up a GT3071R WG kit which although designed for a ST205 was suspected to fit apart from oil feed line so the project started as turbo swap thsi weekend to "oh stuff it remove everything front of teh block and start to figure out where stuff shoudl actually go rather than design bits around std parts..... so here goes!
oh crap what have I done?
turbo fitted and everything lines up apart from turbo to chargecooler by circa 25mm.
guess it must be FMIC time!
skyline core
better look at clocking teh turbo....
looking promising - I was expecting it to clash with teh clutch slave cylinder
Now I was kind of lucky and found a piece of pipe that was from a ST205 intercooler setup that looked close to what was required.
It is not far off but will require a tweak

Oh picked up a custom made car cover taht cost teh orginal owner a fortune...

So anyway... whilst I have all this crap off the car. Any suggestions on radiator, PS cooler setup and oil cooler for ST185? Wondering if I can bend up some small pipes for PS and use the gearbox oil cooler (or a spare one anyway). I am half thinking of trying to convert to ST205 sump setup as I still have a brand new ST205 oil cooler and St185 oil filter location is just dumb.

The Ac has been ditched over the weekend so I seem to have plenty of free room.

All/Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

PS I may ditch the skyline core in favour of a custom design to my specs - as most of you know I like the top to bottom design but that would require a custom slightly narrow rad to allow the top air return pipe to enter the engien bay at high level.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:22 pm 
Club Staff

Oh,
1) sorry for picture qulaity - were taken with my phone and after I had stuck an oilly thumb over the lens!
2) This is all just mock up only at present and will all be coming off again to allow final fitemnt with new gaskets and all parts cleaned up.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST165
:lol: @ ARsey

keeer-i-key >> that's a fair sized intercooler. with my little understanding i'd say the end tanks look good. how much ooomph / cooling do you want?

i don't think it would be worth doing a st205 sump conversion unless you intend to undertake it as part of a full rebuild.
use a relocate filter kit for the time being / until the big ends let go etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 am 
Club Staff

Gary - to be honest I am not looking for massive power at present. The idea at the moment is to stick with standard engine parts and run low boost to keep stress low and allow me to build up my driving skills first. The ECU was purchased as having done the ST185 thing before I found that you were always fudging stuff to get it to roughly do what you want. It means I can ditch the Apexi AVC-R it already has in favour of ECU controlled boost and water injection can be run in line with requirements rather than "we have 1 bar lets inject the same amount of water at 3K rpm @ 1 bar as at 7200rpm @ 1.5 bar" - I am not a fan of the crude WI setups and TBH not a massive fan of WI anyway. So whilst the spec may look like I am aiming high I am aiming for reliability and to allow more than 3-5 quick-ish laps before cool down period. I will be happy with 300-350bhp somewhen.

The IC came up and appeared to have roughly teh right dims, nice end tank design and came froma car that was producing 300bhp from teh factory and hence I figured that it would be a reasonable selection. I will be going with 57mm IC pipes as from my calcs they will not impose excessive pressure drop at teh flow figures I am talking about. Ideally I woudl have liked to have designed a IC with top and bottom end tanks and vertical flow as thsi woudl allow a lower pressure drop whilst still providing the same cooling effect - unfortunately unless I get a slightly narrower custom rad made up or bin teh headlights (not an option as I don't want some non-standard lights and it is still a road car to get to events & track) there is no way to get the top pipe through to the engine bay.

I am semi tempted to start and build up a spare engine with ST205 sump, ST162 inlet manifold and 3s-ge cams - sourcing manifold & cams seems quite difficult unless you wnat to buy 2 complete engines!

Current cooling ideas (only ideas and require R&D & proper thought yet) is Golpher rad (only ST185 one available?) swirl pot & header tank, I may look at electric water pump on engien build up but that will be waaay off hopefully. PS cooler - not sure - wondered if you can use a gearbox oil cooler style cooler. Engien oil cooler - I have a mocal cooler with hoses and a take off plate for the ST205 all new that I will have a look at and see if as I have removed a load of guff from the engine bay it may actually fit.

I am semi tempted to look at alternator re-location to where the AC compressor was - will require custom brackets but just seems the place it should now be.... Will save a few KG of cast iron bracket and provide a fair bit of room for important stuff lol.

Also looking at sensors for ECU.
Fuel Pressure
Oil Pressure
Boost solenoid
IAT at filter
Pressure @ turbo outlet and just before throttle body inlet
EGT??
WI setup??
Fuelling monitoring will be handled by my Innovate LM-1 for now.

Then on to fuelling and whilst I have FPR & SARD 800cc injectors the ST185 fuel rail is known to be restrictive at 300bhp ish so currently reviewing options - boring it out and twin feeding sounds favourite at teh moment as most aftermarklet fuel rails are top feed type.

So any thoughts lol.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject: Project TSS - ST185 GTR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:43 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
You certainly have some interesting things going on there JP!

Don's absolutely right about the importance of cooling.
I have read a number of issues relating to heat.

Here's a heads up on the parts I have bought to combat/cope with both water and oil temperature issues:
- Aluminium 2-row Golpher radiator
- 1 bottle of Water Wetter
- 1 x Kenlowe Thermal-Electric Heavy Duty Fan
- Billion Uprated 65C Thermostat
- ARC Air Removal Tank system (See http://www.nengun.com/arc/air-removal-t ... versal-set)
- Davies Craig EWP 110 Electric Water Pump (8015) (EWP1A)
- Davies Craig EBP Electric Booster Pump (9001) (EWP2)
- Davies Craig EBP Digital Water Pump Controller (8020) (EWPC2)
- Non-return valve for heater matrix
- TOGA High Volume Oil Pump (#OPTO25C-HV)
- TOGA Oil Filter (#UL16-HP)
- MOCAL Pressed Plate Oil to Air 19 row x 235mm Engine Oil Cooler Radiator
(With S/S Hose and Aeroquip Connections)
- MOCAL Oil Filter Relocation Kit (incl. Oil Stat and Take off Plate)
- MOCAL Pressed Plate Oil to Air 10 row x 115 mm Oil Cooler for the Gearbox
- MOCAL Pressed Plate Oil to Air 10 row x 115 mm Oil Cooler for the Power Steering
- Custom Front Bumper providing additional air intakes

Building a monster requires adequate cooling!

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:34 pm 
Club Staff

I think you can ditch the PAS cooler JP

I reckon if you run the pipes externally from the boot mounted PAS pump in copper you'll lose sufficient heat!

Did I mention the boot mount PAS pump lol
That way, you see, the alternator can go where the PAS pump is, a la mister 2. Getting stoned with two birds in a handy bush as the old saying goes

Not a big job given you have the battery in teh boot (when I say not a big job I may be speaking metaphorically lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:59 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:
I think you can ditch the PAS cooler JP

And there was me expecting some smart arse answer about me not bothering to steer for chicanes hence no need for PAS.

Shirley an electric PS pump from MR2 would be the jobbie required? Dunno where it is located on a MR2 though. I bet it is in the boot though :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 pm 
Club Staff

You are correct JP :D
Hence they relo alternator into PAS pump slot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:04 am 
Junior WRC

Quote:
Dunno where it is located on a MR2 though.

the p/steering pump/motor is in the front by the spare wheel ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:32 am 
Club Staff

Slowly making some progress. Most parts have now arrived for stage 1 works:-
FMIC
GB Oil Cooler
Ally Rad
Spal Fans
PS Cooler
Turbo oil lines
Turbo water lines

Just waiting for / waiting to sort out:-
colant swirl pot & header tank & oil cooler/FMIC frame (currently under mosk-up/construction out of ally box)

FMIC pipework will be by Datajon. At the moment it is a bit of a mix of DJ lower pipes & temporary upper pipes from throttle body to DJ lower pipe. Once the ST162 inlet manifold arrives and is fitted I hope to have DJ make up a upper pipe to suit.

A couple of pics to check my temporary pipe route:-

I desperately need to sort out my battery & the dodgey wiring left by the previous owner. Thsi will be doen as stage 2 after I have her running again I intend to get the DTA ECU fitted, ST162 inlet manifold, DJ upper IC pipe & battery relocated / wiring sorted.

I will post a load of photos of progress next weekend once I have some daylight!

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3