www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Post subject: Subaru WRX
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:24 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST185
After finally shaking off the celica 'thing' last year and selling off the Basingstoke three my life seemed suddenly very empty , not to mention the garage :( . With the time saved not faffing about with them my attentions were turned to the numerous for sale pages of various sites looking just looking whats about . Having always loved that flat 4 unequal sound it wasn't long before a decision was made :) , if I ever was going to own one , then now or never .
Et viola..:
Enter the 2003 WRX , now , knowing that most take the mickey about them all being Blue with gold wheels and not wanting to be a sheep (Baa) an alternative colour was specifically sought . They also say never buy the first one you look at , but me being me didn't listen ;) .

Genuine UK car , 120k , 3 previous owners , and RED . Not a complete service history but the last owner (5 years ) worked in a garage and did the necessary as and when required .
http://s146.photobucket.com/user/lush20 ... rulaqlo.jp

So there it is , only mods so far are the larger STI tmic and undertray , induction kit located in the wing , full 3" decatted exhorst , and a remap to remove the eml light . Came with HID's fitted and private plate , and 4 brand new quality tyres with refurbed aftermarket 18" alloys . Lowering spings have dropped it 30mm .

My only additions since purchasing last September are better mats , a more tasteful gear knob , oh and bonnet lifters which i'll get around to fitting one day .

Post subject: Re: Subaru WRX
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:01 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
I didn't get a chance to have a nose at this on Friday as it was dark but it looks incredibly tidy.

My first comment on seeing it (to don) was "at least it isn't blue" ;-)

As discussed on Friday the Impreza seems a much better base tool to get the job done, parts are easily obtainable, cheap and the modding path is well trodden. The st185 is proving quite difficult to keep on the road now as lots of parts are discontinued.

I'd be interested how you get on with the intended mods Clive, it seems so easy and cheap to get circa 350bhp it's almost not funny!

Was it an ecutek remap you are looking at?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:38 pm 
Junior WRC

From what I've read so far on the Scooby forums JP there are various software options for the remapping of these , ecutek being probably the most used of them . The company I'm going to use for the fitting of the upgrades have a mapper that attends once a month , depending on what he uses , or prefers to use , then that will be the deciding factor . Will find out more when the time comes , after having a chat with Len in the workshop it seems a pretty straightforward path to get 330-350 bhp :) .
Mapping will done on the road and a gentleman by the name of Bob Rawle will do it as and when . The company i'll be using..http://www.subaru4you.co.uk/ . Just a two man business at this present time but after a couple of recent visits i must say they are very friendly and helpful . After asking for recommendations on scooby.net these were by far the most popular as a good place to go in this area , providing everything from a service to full engine rebuilds , Len having a 500 bhp classic rally car tucked away in one corner of the shop .
After my experiences of past this is a step i feel confident taking ;) .
Will keep informed of progress :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:46 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Great to see the pics and hear of your plans. It would be worth sticking it on the rollers to see what power and torque it's putting out before you carry out any work. Looks like the base model WRX is 215bhp and 215 lbft. Your year of WRX would appear to have an open front diff, viscous centre and limited slip rear diff. Pretty much identical to the GT-Four apart from the front to rear torque split being I believe something like 45:55

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:49 pm 
Junior WRC

Yesterday warranted another visit to S4U :) , the reason will be evident in the last couple of pics but a few to wade through first....
The 500 bhp rally car project undergoing some engine fettling
Although my car isn't an STI the fronts arms are the alloy ones fitted to said model :) , somebody loved it in a previous ownership .

Underside isn't too bad for a uk car , some cleaning and treating of areas is needed as expected
Fully de catted 3" system with a Ninja backbox
And finally the reason for visiting..
I had previously the rear brake discs and pads replaced with black diamond products , yesterday saw whiteline rear adj arb and cdf drop links installed .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 pm 
Club Staff

Did you notice much change in the handling after fitting the Whiteline rear ARB?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:35 pm 
Club Staff

I'd be interested if white line have sorted out the adhesion issues ;-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm 
Junior WRC

TrackToyFour wrote:
Did you notice much change in the handling after fitting the Whiteline rear ARB?

Instantly Don :) , feels a lot tighter in corners and roundabouts . Just replacing a tired weak 13yr old bar that's seen 120k in miles , its transformed the rear no end . Only have driven it back from Newbury and garaged it , so not a lot of use to date , but its definitely improved the car .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 pm 
Junior WRC

Diceman wrote:
I'd be interested if white line have sorted out the adhesion issues ;-)

Adhesion issues ?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:58 pm 
Club Staff

The paint flakes off the old white line arb's and strutbrace steel parts. I'm just refurbing some st185 strut braces and the paint is stuck properly in some places but just flakes off in others. My guess is that the parts weren't degreased properly before painting.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm 
Junior WRC

Ahh interesting , because i had a similar conversation with Len in the workshop and they have struggled in the past to actually obtain the whiteline products in any reasonable timeframe at all . Only over the past 6 months has the service been anywhere near what it was , it would seem the manufacturing plant(s) have moved location not once but twice over the last 3 years causing a lot of headaches . He did say the quality of finish definitely suffered during that period , if and when they actually obtained anything at all it was very poor :( .
Good news being that the supply process is getting better again and with it the product . How true that all is who knows ? But he seemed very genuine in the explanation of it..
I will keep an eye on my new bar but the use the car gets it might take a while to show anything untoward .

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 pm 
Club Staff

I've had similar experience with the Whiteline ARB. I'm going to have a go at rescuing the WL bar we took off Snowy when we swapped onto the C-One front and rear ARB's. It's in a poor state but will see what I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:00 pm 
New Poster

The Subaru dark side often beckons me too...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:19 pm 
Junior WRC

pingman wrote:
The Subaru dark side often beckons me too...

Its about itches and how much the desire to scratch becomes a need :) ? . Tbh if things had worked out more favourably with the 185 then i wouldn't have strayed if you consider it straying ? But that's history and here i is enjoying a change (its as good as a rest) :) .