www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:19 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:12 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
I know i know...your probably well sick of hearing me babble on about hybrid turbos by now, but here we go again...this time with Turbo Technics, and I must say right from the start, things are looking alot better, even the way the turbo is presented on delivery fills me with hope....it arrives double boxed (one to put the old turbo in to send back with the delivery driver) there is a full set of replacement studs included (although they did forget to include the Oil pipe studs :( )
Upon detailed examination, alot more work has been done by Turbo Technics than by Turbo Force, although this would explain the £200 price difference, but money well spent if it works as well as it looks. The waste gate port has been totally reworked and made into one big port, it looks alot more free flowing that the standard and relitavely untouched Turbo Force wastegates which probably will make the horrendous Overboost problems I have been having with the Turbo Force Hybrid, a thing of the past.
Also included with the Turbo technics turbo, which the Turbo Force hybrid turned up without, is a brand new set up and fitted actuator, on a very sturdy looking bracket, the only quandry I have about this is where on earth do I fit my Boost Controller, becuse the vacuum pipe is already fitted to the turbo, directly from the Compressor housing (as normal) to the actuator, with a T-piece half way along, now surely if I connected my boost controller to this it would only have one hose connected, aahhh so it works as a bleed system, which works in exactly the opposite way to an AVCR. ie a bleed system opens, to allow some air to escape the system thus delaying the activation of the actuator. An AVCR blocks the flow of pressure to the actuator to achieve the same result......so my one and only question thus far....how on earth do I fit my AVCR to this, because I imagine if I remove the vacuum pipework fitted by Turbo technics, it will void the 2 year warrenty.

Anyway onwards and upwards, as well as arriving alot more prepared and machined and with nice new bits added that I didnt get before, a better waste gate set up, it only took 2 days to arrive...brilliant...9/10 to Turbo Technics at this point.

Now I have to do that horrible job I swore I would never do again, but to be honest I will be glad to see the back of this Turbo Force hybrid,,,its caused me nothing but bother.

Results of the fitting to follow....hopefully tonight If I can figure out how to install the boost controller.

Pictures to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:59 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
for the avcr fitment, just remove the t-peice so you have 2 pipes and plumb in as you had before. or just remove the entire pipe and attach your own pipe work, again as you had before.

i doubt a different form of wastegate control would void the warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:11 pm 
Club Staff

The choice is up to you regarding the AVCR connection.

You could remove the T and plumb the solenoid in it's place leaving the solenoid as it currently is. If you're really worried then make a quick call to TT and ask them if doing things this way will void the warranty

Alternatively you can reconfigure the solenoid. From what I read the solenoid has 3 ports, COM, NO and NC.
I assume you're currently using COM and NO directly connected to the turbo and actuator respectivly.
I believe you'd have to change this to use COM and NC. Connect NC to the T piece and leave the other ports open. From my understanding it should then work as expected

Personally I think the first option, replacing the T piece with the solenoid is better. Like I said confirm with TT first if you're that worried!

I think the TT uses a custom turbine rather then using a modified stocker by the way. It looks like there is a weld right around it where it has been attached to the stock CTxx housing, not that it makes any difference how it's done

It does look a rather better thought out setup than most though. Even has dual mounting points for the turbo support bracket which is different from CT26 to CT20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:12 pm 
Club Staff

PS
If you don't have the manual it's HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:59 pm 
Club Staff

and - a quickie I have forgot - and please let me know if yours does this - because of teh thickness of teh wastegate bracket my water pipe - (which was slightly bent anyway) required a tweak to fit over the bracket. The water pipe bracket is bolted onto the same point.

Good luck m8

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm 
Club Staff

have seen something along these lines posted on the OC JP ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm 
Club Staff

Oh ok - so it wasn't just my bent water pipe bracket then.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 pm 
Group N

Okay...heres the two turbos side by side...spot the diference...apart from the fact that one is dirty as its been on the car, this is exactly how they arrived at my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm 
Group N

The exhaust side of the Turbo Force CT26 hybrid (11 vanes)

Compared to the Turbo Technics CT26/20b Hybrid (10 Vanes)

Last edited by Insanity-74 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:43 pm 
Club Staff

Ah,

I took me a while but I got it. The TurboFarce one was supplied with a pre installed stud :D :D :D

What did I win?????? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:43 pm 
Group N

The Turbo Force Compressor side...note the number and size of the vanes.

The Turbo Technics version...smaller yet more numerous vanes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:46 pm 
Group N

The turbo to manifold joint (Turbo Force)

Turbo Technics version

you cant see it, but the TT version has had much more work done down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:48 pm 
Group N

two_OH_five wrote:
Ah,

I took me a while but I got it. The TurboFarce one was supplied with a pre installed stud :D :D :D

What did I win?????? :lol:

Well done...it actually came with TWO pre installed studs...I kid you not.

Oh, and the Turbo Force Turbo had No actuator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:08 am 
Club Staff

Good comparison pics. Look forward to your driving impressions once you get it all fitted. Don't forget to get the oil circulating through your shiny and expensive new TT turbo before you start up!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 am 
Group N

Well initial impressions resulted in words like. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee and Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, it bloomin fast, scared myself a few times with the acceleration. The turbo starts to spool up at about 2800rpm and hits full boost somewhere around 3800 rpm. Power delivery is much much smoother, there is no overboost what so ever...holds a rock steady 0.9 bar and 1.1 bar, havnt come across any compressor surge yet, but a trip out today to buy a catch can will be a good test drive. the car is like *bleep* of a stick now.....blew away a scoobie without even having to try...its great.