www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
I can highly recommended RT Performance.
There work, craftmanship and quality is top notch.
They do things properly and never release to the market until they have tried and tested fitment, and they are happy with the quality.
They also have an excellent after sales service in the unlikely event of something going wrong.

Plus you'll get the little extras that other larger manufacturers don't give you (e.g. bonnet latch).

That bonnet looks superb :D

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Cheers guys, well pleased with it, and now fully attached! Washer jets sorted but not the rear spoiler as yet;

Not bad. Needed to adjust the height of the bonnet catch and the little rubber bump stops to get the height at the front right, and it could probably do with more little tweaks, but aside from that, we're sorted. Not been for a drive yet but will do if the weather improves!

I'll have to check whether it has UV inhibitors, forgot to ask, hoping it does. Could do with some matching headlight covers to complete the look, otherwise I'd still be tempted to put some paint on it at least.

Was an old duvet, but the OE bonnet was cosy, bless *lol*

As to the new graphics, they will look notably better once done and fitted, the artists impression never really show the full potential. Not to everyone's taste I appreciate, but as my show car it just has to be done :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:44 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looks a pretty decent fit

I quite like the graphics (although I apparently forgot to comment :roll: ) with the exception of the text underneath/in the background
Kinda looks a bit like one of those Jesus saves, sinners will burn in hell setups with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:17 pm 
Group N

*lol* The text is the rules of the Death Note on which the scheme is based. It'll be reasonably subtle underneath though I'm still tinkering and might make it a touch smaller so the actual words are less obvious but the effect remains.

Aye, not a bad fit. Need some decent weather and some proper daylight shots outside :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:49 pm 
Group N

Okay, some daylight shots. Looking very nice and I'm very pleased, hats off to Ray and Taras at RT-Performance for sorting a top notch bit of kit :)

And one of Rufus sans graphics, not been naked for a long time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 am 
Club Staff

Looking really nice Mook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:47 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Wonderfull

for me at the moment it miss something at the front end, if you go for the headlight cover to ask them to get away the carbon look part to suit with you bonnet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Quote:
Carbon fibre headlight cover

Ask Mixer72 :wink:

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:27 pm 
Group N

I'm missing the hood spoiler, is that comming back?

Also didn't notice until now, but the hood has a smooth surface where the fake carbon used to be. Maybe get some cf headlight covers to mach that?

Car looks stunning without the stickers m8. 8)

Very clean car this way. Love the wheels too.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:27 pm 
Group N

Okay. Been a while since the last update, Rufus has been away getting more work done. Intention this time was to fit the new larger pre-rad, add shorter throttle cable, sort the smell of petrol from the rear plus a few other odds and ends.

Well, turned out the smell of petrol was more to do with the tank starting to split open with rot, and the whole of the underside was something of a mess. As such, it became more of a restoration of the underside!!

Pics to follow of the work, but needless to say it required a new tank, rear anti-roll bar replacing with a Whiteline item, 26 parts went off to be shot blasted and powder coated while the underside itself was cleaned up, back to bare metal, treated with chemical rust easter and fully undersealed.

First set of pictures show the state everything was in once the petrol tank, exhaust, prop and other bits and bobs were removed;

Pics of some of the progress; stripping back to bare metal and treating with a chemical rust eater before scraping back again. Also a pic of the hole appearing in the passenger side rear wheel arch inner skin;

Some further progress with the hole cut out ready for treatment and a new patch welding in. Then applying the underseal starting from the rear. The knackered looking rear anti-roll bar will be replaced with a nice Whiteline item :)

More progress made with pretty much the whole underside treated. Certainly looking a whole lot better

Going back together slowly but surely. Rear subframe, rear diff and few other bits replaced - enough to get it off the ramp while awaiting some further parts;

Just awaiting the anti-roll bar before the back end can go back together. New pertrol tank has been cleaned up and treated and the filler pipe has also been cleaned up. Definitely a huge job but major thanks to the guys at JDModified for doing it thoroughly and professionally. Will last many more years once this is done, that's for sure.

Still awaiting some new poly front and rear engine mounts and a new engine rad, unfortunately my oil return pipe had worn through the fins of the Pace one, gutted :( Needless to say a new oil return pipe is being made up and the bushes should reduce engine rocking. In one of the pics you can also see where the flexi pipe catches the front subframe - that's being spaced out about 6mm to give a little more room for the exhaust :)

Next year will probably see the remaining suspension arms/hubs removed, blasted and powder coated and the engine removed to thoroughly go over the bay. Fun and games...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 pm 
Club Staff

Looking good Mook. You need to park it over a large mirror at the shows this season so everyone can see the good work!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 pm 
Junior WRC

Love to see this beauty being restored and kept fresh. Feels so much better just knowing the chassis is ok!

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 pm 
Group N

Cheers chaps, it's been a while but the underside will soon match the topside ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 am 
Group N

Well, it's been a while since the last update, so there's a few things to add!

After the underside was put back together, the coolers got some attention with the addition of a thermostat for the engine oil cooler, gearbox oil cooler added back in and the monster pre-rad plumbed in :)

Geo was straightened out and fresh MOT was gained with flying colours.

A remap was done, mainly to sort cold start and idling issues out, but also to make some minor adjustments following setting up the cams correctly. Made 300 at 1.2 bar but controlling the boost was iffy and we started to get some blue smoke...

The turbo had been given a recon and was running with an additional inline oil filter, so that was spot on. We were only getting some smoke on full boost, nothing on low boost or idle. After speaking with the guys who rebuilt the turbo, Universal Turbos, the suspiscion was tired piston rings giving some blow by which pressurises the sump and forces some oil through the turbo seals.

Time has come to finally bite the bullet and get the bottom end rebuilt! Originally intended to get some forged pistons to drop into my engine, but had a windfall on ebay - rev 2 block, brand new, sleeved with 87mm liners, all for a bargain £255 delivered. This was spare block built by well known MR2 aficionado Roy Ashby, same spec he used at nearly 700bhp in his wheely pulling drag monster. I then sourced some new Eagle H beam rods from the OC for £220 delivered.

Having got these, and looking at other considerations, it was decided to go the whole hog and go for a 2.2 build 8) Managed to source a 5SFE crank from the US for £275 shipped, so another bargain there, even accounting for import duty/vat. It will need machining to take the 3SGTE rods, but JDModified have contacts for that.

Was going to go for CP pistons as they make one for this very conversion, but we found they only do them in 86.5mm bore. So, I've fired off an email to see if they can make up a set with 87mm bore, will see what that comes back with.

I had also considered a Borg Warner EFR 6258 turbo with this set-up, but you simply can't get hold of them. My aim is quick spool, wide power band, nippy road set-up, and the GT3071R was just a bit too sluggish to get up and running. Discussing this with James threw up some other things that could be contributing to that and some things we could do within, and alongside, the engine build to help matters.

So here is the plan of action. We'll be keeping the 3071 as it's in fine condition and everything around it is made to fit, no point in spending out if it isn't needed. We'll be going for 9.0:1 CR with the pistons to improve power off boost - happy to sacrafice overall boost and top end for drivability and midrange torque. Will also swap out my Piper 264 high lift cams for a pair of ST205 stock items, same reasoning as the piston spec choice. We'll also retain TVIS. James will make up a tubular exhaust manifold and a new downpipe, both of which will aid flow and allow better positioning and routing of the wastegate set-up to get the boost back under control, and we'll set things up at around 1.4/1.5 bar when we're done.

Another thing that cropped up was the fact I've got 1mm oversized exhaust valves, but standard intake valves. That was down to a past less informed decision on my part, but we reason that adding the larger intake valves will help balance the head flow back up as Yamaha intended, which should again improve spool.

Any opinions/details relating to our ideas on the CR, cams, valves and so on would be appreciated as always :)

In other news, I've added an oil temp gauge and now mounted them on the dash top in a carbon pod from the US. Needs some tweaking but you get the idea;

Plans for the graphics have changed a little too. Having a joint Skewer/JDModified livery and going with yellow as the accent colour, with a plan of refurbing the wheels in yellow also - I've had 8 years of subtle, time to push the boat out! Artists' impression;

That's about it for now. Intending to do some of the graphics over the next few weeks then have Rufus back up to JDModified mid/end of Jan. Engine will come out to start working on it and the engine bay will get tidied up and a new engine loom, partly tucked, made up for the engine. Wheels will be refurbed and I'll pop up with more graphics as and when with the aim to be back on the road in time for Japfest mid May.

Fingers crossed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:00 am 
Club Staff

Good update Mook. I shall be very interested to hear how you get on with your 5S-GTE build :)

Regarding your GT3071R turbo, if you want to get similar performance to the Borg Warner turbo then you could upgrade your turbo to Garrett GTX spec by fitting a billet compressor wheel. Probably a lot cheaper than buying another turbo. This is what I plan to do.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next