www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Thanks mike, I have plenty of other questions, which I will ask you in person, but I have been studying your build thread and it has really helped me work out most of the things I need to get ordering and the work involved in fitting it all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:43 pm 
Club Staff

Little bit of an update. I managed to source a late spec 3 spoke steering wheel in relatively good condition, this was a bit of a pain to fit as some of the wiring connectors were different however not too bad a job. The wheel is much nicer than the 4 spoke item that was installed previously.

Also I had a bit of a poor idle caused firstly by the vacuum pipes popping of from the dump valve and then the OEM dumpvalve actually splitting in two. It literally couldn't handle the pressure (1.5bar). To solve this I was going to refit my HKS dumpvalve for which I sourced a kit to make it recirculate. However I wasn't totally happy with this as the HKS is a bit too far from the OEM look I strive for.

Diceman suggested an option which has proven to work well - Subaru Imprezas used a similar OEM dumpvalve to the ST205 however theirs is an all metal construction so should stand upto to the pressures far more easily. This was reasonably simple to install, a round rubber washer was required to seal onto the airbox and a small amount of TIG welding to close up an air gap on the mating face of the valve.

Here is the Subaru valve next to the OEM Toyota item:

Installed on the car:

Very happy with the look and it has solved the poor idle issue clearly being caused by the massive air leak.

Unfortunately on the drive home my alternator decided to pack up quite disappointing as it was only 3 years and 8k miles old. Meaning a visit from the AA and then a ride on the flat bed home. Will be looking at options for replacement this week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:57 pm 
Club Staff

Fitted the refurbished alternator this weekend, and had a good 90 minutes test drive, all appears to be fine, now seeing 14.3v across the battery when running and roughly the same across the alternator which is good, also took the opportunity to fit a new belt.

Able now to properly report that the new Subaru dumpvalve is working fine and the idle is now alot more stable than it was before. Still not perfect however although I think that is a cam/mapping issue.

Also made another revert back to OEM - before:

After recent events over on the OC I find that I can no longer morally display their sticker on my car.

A cleaner look - both literally and metaphorically. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 pm 
Club Staff

Ban him I say :lol: .... seriously tho, the glass looks a little bare. We do have some morally uplifting www.gt4dc.co.uk stickers left :mrgreen:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:26 pm 
Club Staff

Indeed! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 am 
Group N

Like the new mods, really like the gen 7 wheel. What happened at the OC? I couldn't justify the £20 to rejoin so missed out on that debacle. Love a bit of trivial politics, makes a nice break from the real world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:10 pm 
Club Staff

Hi Peter,

It's actually a late spec Gen6 wheel from a 98-99 car. :)

Nothing new on the OC - the same crap just with different people involved. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:57 pm 
Group N

Oh cool,was it hard to find/source?

I see OC in fighting = SSDD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 am 
Clubman

Hi Mike, although I guess the car isn't seeing that much action at this time of year I was wondering if you have done much monitoring of intake temperatures (post CC) whilst the car is running?

I know you mentioned in your post about the mapping session that the new chargecooler radiator had reduced running temps from about 40 deg C to 20-25 deg C (I assumed these were intake temperatures), and it would be interesting to know what the values are for normal driving (vs hard driving) if you have any data.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:57 pm 
Club Staff

Hard driving the temperatures still creep up - but never beyond 45 or so. During normal driving its around 20-25 Generally there is about a 15 degree difference between the temperature of the chargecooler fluid and the intake air temperature (post chargecooler). If I get round to it I can post some plots from the data logger so you can see all the parameters plotted against each other.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:15 pm 
Club Staff

Hi All,

Time flies, it's been a year since my last update. The car is still performing well, mechanicals wise there hasn't been any real changes apart from a couple of oil changes. I've had two trips up to MK Autos in Blackburn for some map tweaks and a fix to the air conditioning. Following the map tweaks I thought it would be good to get the car on the dyno, so this morning I was over at Surrey Rolling Road (now in Farnborough, Hampshire) for a run.

Sorry for poor picture quality:

The car made 350hp which I was slightly disappointed with as a headline figure as this isn't any more than it made a year ago before the map tweaks. However what I am delighted with is that there is 10-20hp more for a large chunk of the rev range lower down, and this certainly backs up how the car feels since the map changes. The dyno operator Charlie said that the fueling was nice and that there was no sign of any detonation. He also said that the figure was very good going considering I still have a cat installed.

I also logged the dyno run on the ECU and seperately on my datalogger, lots of geeky graphs below for your perusal.

Dyno Plots (red line is new black line is old)

Graphs from the Link G4 Logs:

Finally a plot of EGT, intake temperature and fuel pressure:

Be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers, Mike :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Looking good mate, like the improvement in midrange torque, that's where you're going to need it :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm 
Club Staff

Another small update. Faced with having to replace a pair of tyres I really wanted to try something else apart from the Toyo T1R which I haven't been happy with since I first fitted them. However if you look at 225/50/16 there really is a very poor selection of tyres now. Having looked at this for a while I decided that the best route was to change the wheel for a 17" that then gives a wide variety of choice for the tyres.

Having trawled the web for a wheel in 17" that doesn't look too far from the standard 6 spoke I picked a wheel from Wolfrace called the 'JDM' it is reminiscent of the TE37 although has slightly tapered spokes which is more similar to the standard wheel. Unfortunately they don't make the wheel in silver so I have gone for 'gunmetal' and once they are in need of a refurb (and out of warranty) I will have them redone in a lighter colour.

The wheels came with the normal ghastly wolfrace centre caps which I have replaced with some items from a Yaris - with a bit of modification and repainting they look alright.

Tyrewise I went for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. I always really rated the old Goodyear Eagle F1 and these new ones have very good reviews so hopefully they will be an improvement over the Toyo. Size is 225/45/17 - this gives a larger rolling radius than the 225/50/16 which is also larger than the stock 215/50/16 however the speedo when compared to the GPS Speed still under reads slightly so no issues there.

Specs:

Wolfrace JDM 17x7.5 ET45 - Without spacers it clears the brakes with about 2mm
PCD is 5x100
Centrebore is large and then uses a spigot ring to reduce to the ST205 size.
Weight is about 9kg so not the lightest by a long shot.

Coming over the next few weeks is to tidy up the datalogger wiring, install some new hose clips to replace ones that have gone a bit rusty, sort out some dash switches for hi/lo boost and a couple of other bits, modifying the undertray to make changing the oil easier, fitting some soundproofing and a host of other bits. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:14 pm 
Club Staff

Love the Yaris upgrade! One question though, were you able to use the Toyota wheel nuts on the Wolfrace wheels?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:20 pm 
Group N

F1s are great tyres. Not sure if you had the availability in your size I went for Vredestein Vortis on mine and very happy. If you could get a set that fit and still for sale Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next