www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:39 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
TrackToyFour wrote:
Love the Yaris upgrade! One question though, were you able to use the Toyota wheel nuts on the Wolfrace wheels?

The supplier (Demon Tweeks) provided new suitable wheelnuts with the wheels. These have a conical mating surface rather than the flanged washer arrangement that the OEM wheels have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:28 pm 
Clubman

Sirius wrote:
Another small update. Faced with having to replace a pair of tyres I really wanted to try something else apart from the Toyo T1R which I haven't been happy with since I first fitted them. However if you look at 225/50/16 there really is a very poor selection of tyres now. Having looked at this for a while I decided that the best route was to change the wheel for a 17" that then gives a wide variety of choice for the tyres.

Having trawled the web for a wheel in 17" that doesn't look too far from the standard 6 spoke I picked a wheel from Wolfrace called the 'JDM' it is reminiscent of the TE37 although has slightly tapered spokes which is more similar to the standard wheel. Unfortunately they don't make the wheel in silver so I have gone for 'gunmetal' and once they are in need of a refurb (and out of warranty) I will have them redone in a lighter colour.

The wheels came with the normal ghastly wolfrace centre caps which I have replaced with some items from a Yaris - with a bit of modification and repainting they look alright.

Tyrewise I went for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. I always really rated the old Goodyear Eagle F1 and these new ones have very good reviews so hopefully they will be an improvement over the Toyo. Size is 225/45/17 - this gives a larger rolling radius than the 225/50/16 which is also larger than the stock 215/50/16 however the speedo when compared to the GPS Speed still under reads slightly so no issues there.

Specs:

Wolfrace JDM 17x7.5 ET45 - Without spacers it clears the brakes with about 2mm
PCD is 5x100
Centrebore is large and then uses a spigot ring to reduce to the ST205 size.
Weight is about 9kg so not the lightest by a long shot.

Coming over the next few weeks is to tidy up the datalogger wiring, install some new hose clips to replace ones that have gone a bit rusty, sort out some dash switches for hi/lo boost and a couple of other bits, modifying the undertray to make changing the oil easier, fitting some soundproofing and a host of other bits. :)

I looked all your theme from the start.
I do not quite understand what you aspire to in the end?
But with the fuel pump, turbine OEMs, OEM exhaust manifold your result is quite normal. Unfortunately more with this engine ensuring you will not achieve.
I did not see if you have a fuel pressure regulator, although the OEM pump and it is not necessary at all.
I saw that you were going to install Apex ESU?
Left OEM in the end?

I hope that the written correctly?
If there is some stupidity - it's Google Translator :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:20 am 
Club Staff

Please don't apologize for your writing - we understand.

My plan for the car was to have a decent amount more power whilst keeping the car looking as standard as possible, I think 110hp more than standard is quite good going given the restrictions I have placed on myself.

The fuelpump is a walboro item with 800cc injectors. I am using the OEM fuel pressure regulator. The turbo is a hybrid turbo with a custom turbine housing. I am using a Link ECU and also still have a catalytic converter.

Essentially I now am happy with the car and am not really looking to get any more power out of it. The rest of the project is to improve the rest of the driving experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:59 pm 
Clubman

All the time to ask.
The Japanese on your (internal) market made with hot turbine impeller made of ceramics. Exports are delela turbine with metal impellers. Since you did from the turbine hybrid, you had to see how hot the impeller you stood.
I really wonder about the actual confirmation of the export of cars.
I took the car directly from Japan, and I have a hot ceramic impeller.
In Russia Celica never officially delivered.
What is your hot impeller?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:43 pm 
Club Staff

Hi,

My car was an 'official' export car. It was one of the cars officially delivered and sold in the UK. So it should have had the Steel/metal turbine.

When I changed for the hybrid I used this turbo:

http://www.gt4-play.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/39 which uses the standard turbine arrangement and has steel components.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:36 pm 
Club Staff

Another short update from the last couple of weeks.

I've been making a long list of smaller jobs that I need to do, and over Christmas I made a start on one of the more daunting!

For ages I have been meaning to get my (single) garage to a state where the Celica could fit inside for the Winter. This year I finally bit the bullet and modified my workbench so that the nose of the car can safely pass underneath, put my spare engine on a dolly and store underneath the bench, then fit shelving at high level most of the way round the garage to replace my free standing shelf unit. So the garage now looks like this:

It's a bit of a squeeze, but assisted by my good lady the result is:

I've chocked the wheels rather than using the handbrake and left the windows open. :)

The plan is to have it in the garage until probably April time when it can come back outside until next Winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:58 pm 
Group N

Oh to dream of owning a garage!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Nice,
A quick word of caution; I noticed the large quantity of ceiling mounted (garden tools?) gubbins. My stepfather did exactly this but during a period of high wind/stupidity ( I believe it's happened twice now) the car underneath has suffered severe roof damage (£,000s) due to dislodged tools coming adrift from the ceiling storage.

Having learnt from this I've used a 6mm birch ply sheet to form a continuous shelf for my ceiling storage and so as to protect items underneath.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm 
Club Staff

Interesting - I'll keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 am 
Club Staff

Hmm, I get an error code for the pictures

"HTTP Error N+1. Insufficient bicycles detected"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 am 
Club Staff

two_OH_five wrote:
Hmm, I get an error code for the pictures

"HTTP Error N+1. Insufficient bicycles detected"

LOL - not to worry it isn't as bad as it looks - I am up to 4 bikes now and Claire has 2 :)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 pm 
Club Staff

Another small update. Over the last couple of weekends I have had the car back out of the garage and started installing a small amount of sound proofing/dampening in an attempt to make the car a little bit more refined. I've used a combination of foam sheet and a dynamat type material, not too much such that the weight is excessive so I am not expecting miracles. I haven't driven the car yet but when closing the doors they do give a more satisfying 'clunk' now.

I have also taken the opportunity to remove the rear OEM speakers (they won't be replaced) and to replace the front speakers with a set of JL Component items that I have had laying around for ages. They were fairly pricey 15 years ago and the technology hasn't moved that car so should be fine, especially as they only saw about a year of use and have been stored since then.

With all the door cards and half the dashboard apart for other wiring jobs I took the chance to fit the TRD shifter that I picked up ages ago and a replacement handbrake gaiter and cover as the original item was looking quite tired.

Pics of the above on my next post :)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:51 pm 
Club Staff

Underbonnet Insulation - it all got a bit 'Blue Peter'

Installed

TRD Shifter Mechanism installed - this was a bit of a pain as more of the dashboard had to come apart than I had first thought fairly easy install otherwise.

Standard Toyota Tweeter

Modified with the JL Audio item

Installed in the standard tweeter position - JL Audio logo just peeping through the mesh. Not sure if I like that, I might put a dab of black paint on it so it is hidden.

The replacement JL Audio woofer units installed into an MDF spacer such that they fit in the standard location.

Finally for now a shot of the vibration damping material installed on the inside of the door.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:33 pm 
Club Staff

I decided that I didn't like the JL Audio logo peeping through so a dab of black paint has that sorted.

Crossovers ready for installation

New hand brake gaiter installed and you would never know it is a TRD quickshift :)

Part of the main reason for all the recent work was to tidy the wiring for my datalogger and get it talking properly to my Link G4 ECU. Most of the physical side of things is done now. Here is the DL1 in its new position.

I also messed around with the dash display a bit - rather than a generic logo on startup, you are now greeted with this

I've just paid the road tax to take the car off sorn so I can test drive the noise reduction and the new shifter :)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:03 pm 
Club Staff

Few more bits this weekend.

Replaced the very worn floor mats for some new ones. I'm not 100% happy with the fitment, come winter time I think I will have some custom made using the originals as templates.

I also replaced a couple of hose clamps on the air inlet hose as they were looking very second hand, I then gave the engine bay a good cleanup, looking quite good still I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next