www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:02 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Well, It looks like it is back to turbo selection time for me. Hence I have pulled out some of my old 3sgte airflow predictions on turbo compressor maps.

I will try and formalise this over time so if anyone has any comments on engine VE or the basic method I used for airflow predictions please feel free to comment. If there are any particular turbos that I have missed let em know and I will try and add to the list.

There are some quite major items I have previously ignored in order to get a rough idea:-
1) Compressor efficiencies - these vary for each turbo - between 75% to 80% and will effect charge temps.
2) Turbine side efficiency and matching - trying to cross reference between the shaft speeds etc started to make my head hurt.
3) Engien VE varies over RPM/Boost -
4) Intercooling efficiency

I have seen some really nice calc sheets about that try and take into account most of the above but unfortunately I have never found one that actually produces realistic figures!

In order to understand a compressor map this diagram is posted by Garrett:-

This graph comes from an MR2 forum and provides soem guidance on what figures are actually achieved on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road:-

As a guide you will need circa 30 lbs/min (430cfm) or air for 300bhp, 40 lbs/min (575 cfm) of air for 400bhp and so on.
Starting off with smaller turbos for the 3sgte first:-

Garrett TO4E 46 trim - this is used in the ATS racing CT27 and smaller ct26 based hybrids
this turbo looks like it would hold 1.6 bar to the redline, should make circa 1 bar by 3400rpm and provide a maximum HP potential of circa 380bhp. A good match for the 3sgte. You can see that asking it to provide 1 bar earlier than 3400 rpm ish may result in crossing the surge line/falling off the compressor map and hence it is likely to surge under these conditions.

Garrett TO4E 54 Trim - this is used in quite a few large hybrid ct26s - Turbo Dynamics MD117 for example.

this turbo looks liek it will hold 1.7 bar to the red line, should provide a maximum HP potential of circa 420 bhp and will not make 1 bar until after 4K rpm! You can also see that the surge line does not correspond to a 3sgte very well and is likely to surge if asked to provide high boost at low/mid RPM - in fact this turbo could surge up to 5K rpm if asked for high boost. My own experience of this compressor wheel located in a CT26 hybrid was that it was a poor match, and surged a lot if I asked for 1 bar .

Garrett T34/T35 - This is loosely what a Turbo Technics S148 hybrid is based on. Apologies for the quality of the compressor map - I understand this was reverse engineered.
This turbo also looks like it will hold 1.7 bar to the red line and should have a maximum HP potential of circa 400bhp. The surge line is a good match for the 3sgte and it is unlikely to surge even if you ask for high boost around 3K rpm. I was very impressed with my T35 based hybrid and I had boost earlier and without any surge in comparison to my TO4E 54 trim hybrid.

It should be noted that the above compressor maps are for compressor wheel in matching compressor housing - they will not work as effectively if you try and strap them in to a CT26 housing as it is not designed for teh job.

Garrett GT28RS - "Disco Potato"
This turbo looks like it will spool earlier than a standard CT26 or CT20b (full boost at 2700rpm), hold 1.4 bar to the redline and have potential for circa 330-340bhp. This turbo is a perfect match for a limited BHP car and will provide the widest power band of any turbo looked at to date.

This turbo is a very similar size to the GT28RS. Will make slightly less power - 310-320bhp predicted and should hold 1.3 - 1.4 bar to the red line and make 1 bar around 2700rpm. Similar in size and performance to a CT20b I suspect.
The large version of the TD05-16G has a greater HP potential at circa 360-380bhp and should hold 1.5 bar to the red line. 1 bar should be achievable just after 3000rpm. This looks like a good match for a 3sgte in place of a hybrid CT26 based turbo.
The TD06-20G is quite popular in the 3sgte world. Whilst it appears to make 0.8-1 bar around 3K rpm it takes until 5K rpm to get up to 1.5 bar. At the top end of the rpm range it appears to be a good match for a high boost 3sgte and should hold 1.7-1.8 bar to the redline, teh turbo is normally sold with a 270 degree thrust bearing and IMHO is not therefore suited to prolonged high boost applicatiosn without rebuilds. max bhp potential is estimated to be around 420-430bhp.
The smaller of the Gt2871R turbos should make 1 bar by around 2800rpm and rapidly rise to 1.5 bar around 3300rpm and hold it until the red line. Max Hp Potential should be 370-380bhp. Unfotunately the turbine is known to be restrictive on this turbo and the compressor wheel is lareg compared to the turbine wheel which results in a loss of efficiency - in practice thsi turbo rarely performs as well as the compressor map only would suggest.
The larger GT2871R should make 1 bar by 3300rpm and quickly rise to 1.5 bar by 4K rpm. It shows taht it can hold 1.7-1.8 bar to the red line and has a mximum HP potential of approx 440bhp. Again thsi still has a small T28 turbine setup which chokes the turbo and is a poor match for the large compressor wheel. As such it is unlikely to make much more power in practice than the smaller Gt2871R

The Gt3071R is reported to have been designed for a high boost 2.0 litre application. 1 bar is predicted at just after 3K rpm and it should hold 2.2 bar until the normal redline at a predicted 480bhp. Thsi turbo has a good compressor to turbine wheel size match is thus quite efficient. In practice it spools later than my predictions (which I assume is due to a free flowing turbine section). Care shodul be taken in selecting a GT3071R as numerous options have appeared that use internal wastegates in T28 & t3/T4 turbine housings without using the GT3071R turbine wheel and hence will not perform as orginally intended. In order to use teh best and most efficient GT3071R an external wastegate is required IMHO. I have however datalogged an internally gated GT3071R that made 0.8 bar by 3K rpm and pulled very very hard making circa 380bhp at 5K rpm and 1.6-1.7 bar of boost until a problem was identified and the dyno run terminated.
This is the turbo of my choice for a high boost 3sgte if run with an external wastegate.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Last edited by Diceman on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm 
Club Staff

I will add notes as & when I have more.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I have relatively accurate VE curves for a 205 * but, and as ever it's a big butt, this is including the obruT in the equation. This was a TT hybrid so it's probably not as strangled at high rpm but I imagine there's still some choking at high rpm

Don't have anything on a 185 though so it's not much help really

*I don't actually have VE curves per se . I do have numerous datalogs from which they can be reverse engineered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:11 am 
Club Staff

That is pretty much what I have steve, my issue with all of this is that once you change, cams, valves, have headwork and change the turbo hotside the VE will alter at diff rpms.

Typically people will only start doing any of the above around 350bhp and hence I expect power to be greater at a given boost & rpm than I have predicted above on the larger turbos above.

All of the above have assumed an engine VE of 85% IIRC which seemed to provide reasonably realistic results and is suggested as a good starting point. It is probably more like 90% VE at 5-6K rpm dropping to 80% at the red line as almost all std cam ST205s make max power around 6000-6200 rpm from my findings.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:10 pm 
Club Staff

Glad a few of us think that the GT3071 is a good choice in turbo, especially the externally gated turbo! :)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
Club Staff

http://gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1171

It's not exactly a straight swap though!

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:31 am 
Clubman

I have read and read but can not decide wich turbo I want :(

The turbo must come in early rpms and work to about 400+ hp.

I like the "disco potato" but it just can make upp to 340hp it says.

The engine have orginal cams and nothing is done with the cylinger head.

/ Dennis , sorry for my bad English . I hope you all understand me anyway :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14 am 
Club Staff

Hi,
You are in the magic turbo hole like the rest of us! IMHO there is quite a jump in supporting mods required between 350 ish bhp and 400bhp as unless you run an enormous turbo with low boost (and hence very small power band/late spool) then you will need to run some serious boost. The typical path is to forge the engine over 1.3 bar (I am not saying stock pistons will not handle high boost with a good tune). Hence IMHO you either stick with 350 ish bhp or jump to circa 430-480 and use the GT3071R with a forged engine.

I have recently picked up a GT3071R WG (internally gated) and will be running it on a non-forged engine initially at lowish boost.

For reference one guy has recently made 512bhp at 1.6 bar on a GT3582R on a dyno dynamics where as my calcs on a standard VE engine would indicate more like 430bhp. The engien used was however heavily modified with wild cams and a lot of work done on improving flow, that would be a 19% increase in VE if the figures are correct and not fudged :-)

In conclusion - if you are on a standard engine without forged internals and low rpm boost is very important stick with a GT28rs. if you are aiming a lot higher and forge your engine go for a GT3071R.

All IMHO of course :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 pm 
Clubman

Diceman wrote:
Hi,
You are in the magic turbo hole like the rest of us! IMHO there is quite a jump in supporting mods required between 350 ish bhp and 400bhp as unless you run an enormous turbo with low boost (and hence very small power band/late spool) then you will need to run some serious boost. The typical path is to forge the engine over 1.3 bar (I am not saying stock pistons will not handle high boost with a good tune). Hence IMHO you either stick with 350 ish bhp or jump to circa 430-480 and use the GT3071R with a forged engine.

I have recently picked up a GT3071R WG (internally gated) and will be running it on a non-forged engine initially at lowish boost.

For reference one guy has recently made 512bhp at 1.6 bar on a GT3582R on a dyno dynamics where as my calcs on a standard VE engine would indicate more like 430bhp. The engien used was however heavily modified with wild cams and a lot of work done on improving flow, that would be a 19% increase in VE if the figures are correct and not fudged :-)

In conclusion - if you are on a standard engine without forged internals and low rpm boost is very important stick with a GT28rs. if you are aiming a lot higher and forge your engine go for a GT3071R.

All IMHO of course :-)

Okey !
The engine has cp pistons with overbore (86,5), eaglerods and new ACL race bearings.
And soon a apexi power fc.
New 850cc with new walbro fuelpump is coming up soon also for runnig with etanol (E85).

Can I use stock exhaust manifold? Just going to buy a T3T4 flange with external WG.

At first I was going to buy a T04E (chinese ebay turbo) but my friend has one and it´s have a loong spoolup.

So a GT30 is the best runnig 400hp? ( don´t want to press more becouse the block will crack)

/ Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm 
Club Staff

With your mods then I'd go for the GT3071 but with your 86.5mm re-bore I'd keep the boost under control and limit myself to 400bhp otherwise you may crack a cylinder wall.

Have a look at this thread for info on fitting an externally wastegated GT3070 to a stock manifold.
http://gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
You can also get an internally wastegated GT3070 but that's not something that I am particularly keen on as boost control is not as good

Unfortunately the engine build in the pic above is not yet complete but you can see that there's a lot of bespoke customisation required.

I'm sure if you ask Kris he will give you more details if required.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:42 pm 
Club Staff

Agree about boost control from internal gate, I understand that some of the GT28RS, GT2876Rs & Gt3071R-WG can suffer from boost creep depending on car spec & turbo spec.

It seems that this can be due to a number of factors:-
1) Wastegate actuator needs to be properly setup and fully in line with wastegate actuation. (they are supplied without an actuator and hence a lot have been poorly setup without enough movement of teh wastegate flap.
2) The turbine housings can be ported to enlarge the wastegate hole from circa 22mm to 29mm (IIRC the disc that closes the wastegate is 34mm so enough meat there still).
3) correct selection of turbine A/R for application should assist.

To be totally honest I am not so convinced that some of the externally gated systems/kits I have seen will be any better than a ported housing. I have not heard of that many issues with boost control on teh GT3071R but you have rightly identified that there is a proper way to do things if given the choice.

I woudl suggest going for a Gt3071R with standard manifold and an external gate if you are looking for the best setup and maximing BHP.

I think between staff members we now have most of teh GT3071R configurations but none as yet are actually installed on a working vehicle!

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:36 am 
Clubman

okey!
Well..I have read and read and find out that maybe the gt2871R is good enough?
The problem is I don´t want any turbo wich comes later than 3000rpm. And becouse I can´t make any 400+ hp then maybe it will be better wth gt2871R (bigger one) or GT2876R. both with t3 flange and external wastegate.
what are you think about it?
Just want to pull out max 400hp be happy with 380hp also but not under that.
tha gt28 is about 200dollars cheeper on ebay also..
My project is allready to expensive and have not much money left so....

/Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:40 pm 
Clubman

forgott to ask about the AR on the turbine.
Wich turbine sould i chose ? T3 with 63 or 82 ?
/Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 pm 
Junior WRC

JP just a quick one, whats your views, or, know anyone who's run a gt3782,on 3sgte, been offered one half reasonable almost new...which makes it almost rude not to..for the money

know its old school, still pull reasonable figures and probably last a few hrs running als. :lol: over coming the lag..

just a thought got to make my mind up either way.probably another part for the shelf..:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 am 
Club Staff

DJ,
As you say is one of the older designs and is not as efficient as some of the later stuff and is nor ball bearing. (TBH I am still in a mixed bag mode with BB turbos as both thrust bearing & BB seem to have problems depending on application).

Whilst the cold side doesn't look too bad if you are happy with a 1 bar at over 4K and running a max boost of 1.5-2 bar I would expect it to make full boosty at circa 4500rpm.

The hot side is not so suited IMHO to a 2 litre and is only available in a very large flow configuration with teh 1.12 A/R turbine housing. Now I know it comes with twin scroll turbine housing but doubt it would actually make enough difference. I think that teh turbine housing would shift the boost threshold to be later in teh RPM range by some margin.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with the turbo for any application as there is better alternatives, but I would have the cost of getting a custom kit fabricated which for you would be cost of parts & time only.

What are you trying to do wth it DJ? Race car.... maybe, anything else I suspect it would be too short an RPM band and tooo laggy.

IMHO it looks like quite a nice turbo for converting a 3-4 litre NA car that will run at low boost and without internal mods to CR & pistons.

Good luck :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3