www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:16 am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
HI peeps

Although I’ve owned my 205 almost from new (JDM import at 4 years).... My first post here (I think) was in 2017 asking advice after a frontal collision. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7729&start=0

Well after a year of drama when I had finally collected everything I needed for the restore and two mechanics later the project is finished. My car had been reasonably looked after but always had tired paintwork. Overall cost - about £5.5k but some of this cost was new tyres and front offside suspension arm and super-strutt /mot/service.....

I’l try to add some pics here if they don't work I’ll figure a fix......

In any case I am looking into making my baby more of a hobby. I would like to go to meets and meet likeminded people. I saw one meet was at the Ace Cafe (I know the owner - used to work with Mark wilsmore)

I still also have a couple of issues. When i got the car 20 years ago every time it rained the engine light came on. I went on a similar (or maybe same forum) at that time and someone told me this was a known issue - some JDM cars had been fitted with faulty or sub standard sensors (MAF?) I finally decided to deal with this - I don't want to pull the bulb as the engine light should be of use - warning me of problems that I could avert)

So from much trawling as usual the fix to a faulty sensor is to bridge it! Cost being a tenth of the real fix. I hate sensors. They are mostly expensive and useless. Senor s always seem to go faulty before the component they are supposed to monitor - and I’m quite capable of monitoring things tyvm anyway ... (had a merc recently - was a nightmare for sensors.....)

Could someone provide an explanation on how to do this?

Sorry - to finish - how do I add pics here? Are dropbox links best?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:28 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
The 205 doesn't have a maf sensor.

The first step is to actually diagnose the fault. Any fault that brings on the light also stores this in the ECU and can be read. No special equipment is needed to read the fault, just follow the guide linked below:

http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/info/howto/ecu/e ... _codes.htm

The most common fault code is 54 caused by intercooler fluid level.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:27 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
Thanks, yes it was error 54. I must have got confused about the sensors names. (The gen 7 uses MAFs?) I stuffed the intercooler with coolant - it ended up taking 2 full litres and with revving to engage the pump I was able to clear a lot of air - every time I thought it was full a load of bubbles would rise. Eventually started up the car and the engine light was out! (Which probably means I was given some very bad advice many years ago about the so called dodgy sensor....

I’ve never worked on the car myself - always getting any work or servicing done at a garage. I didn’t even know the intercooler had to be filled separately. I thought this all got piped round the system from the main rad!

So anyway here it is having had a good polish on a slightly sunny day:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdigtdq6xvjji ... 8.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 am 
Group B

Car Model: None
The fact it was completely empty may indicate you have a leak so keep an eye on level. It could also be it was never re-filled by the garage after the crash repair.

Looks a good one from the photo. Good standard ones are getting rare ( and valuable ).