www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:10 pm

Post subject: AutoWeek photoshoot
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:39 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
Today we shot the pics for the article in AutoWeek (Hollands #1 car magazine - non-tuning though normally) of my Sainz. 8)

Some of you may already know it, but here's the story behind it. A freelance journalist of AW was looking for a car for the 'Cool property' section which they feature once in a while. The last time I read this they featured an BNR33, an oldskool Quattro and a old Porsche thing, I liked that a lot. This time, he told me, he wanted a forgotten (sports)car icon from the past and while surfing he found my website.

"Are you willing to let us take pics of your car and write an article about it?" YEAH! :lol:

After some phonecalls and e-mails we arranged the shoot this morning. I also asked him what kind of feature it would be and he told me it will be a spread of 2 pages, nice! 8)

Yesterday I had a day off (uni holiday and no work - I'm glad I did this, first hot day today in Holland!) so I spent the whole day (well, after I could get out of bed :wink: ) washing and polishing the Sainz..

Wax on, wax off:

Someone needs an HKS catback! Soon! (Note that garage box is my dads, the Sainz needs to sleep outside normally :( )

Cleaaaan!

@rse in the sunshine:

This morning around 11 o'clock the journalist was at my place, and we discussed some things about my car again, why the Celica, why the GT-Four, why all way too expensive Jap goodies, etc.. :lol:
The photographer arrived not much later, and we went to the scene to shoot. Because both guys don't live near me, they asked me to do some research in advance about nice scenery, and the first place I showed them was 'perfect! Nice lighting, blablabla tech talk'. There was only one problem, the place features a mini port were they load and unload ships and lorries with dry animalfood, so that means dust!

We decided to stay and the people around were kind enough to take a brake so we could make dust-free pics. Of course I also took pics of the shoot itself:

Mofo lorrydriver who couldn't wait and pushed his trucked behind us (and then had to wait for the others to start working :lol: )

I also had to stand thumbs up by the car with a forced smile on me face, I hope they don't use them in the article! :lol:
Ater that the photographer took some shots of the interior and enginebay, so we could get the hell out of that dusthole.

A bit further down the road we made some driveby pics, and that was the end of an awesome day. I had a great time, and I'm sooo curious to see the result! The journalist is going to mail me when the release date is set, so I can buy about 10 mags from my local store. :lol: One of them is already reserved for my mate in the US, but it's always nice to have a few of them. I'll scan and translate the article for you guys (and my website :D ) when I have it.

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:34 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Brilliant!

Your car looks SO shiney :D

Looks like they are going to have soem awsome shots looking at the pictures you took!

Can't wait to see the mag article, you must be so proud :D

Super White JDM ST205
http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:00 pm 
Junior WRC

Thanks mate, I was very pleased with the offer and how the day went by. I wmao (waxed my arms off :lol: ), but it was sooo worth it!

I understood after the publication it's possible to get the original pics (superb quality I guess!) on cd, so I deffo want that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:12 pm 
Junior WRC

Hi Rene,

Looks very nice indeed my friend.
Look forward to the mag article.
Perhaps you could scan it in and host it on here?

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:14 pm 
Junior WRC

Hi Steve.

Yeah, when I have I'll post it. Since the mag only comes in Dutch I'll translate it. Should imporve my English a bit too I guess :D
So 'watch this space' LOL

Regards, Rene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 pm 
Junior WRC

Your English is spot on mate. :D Better than my Dutch. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:45 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Very nice, you must be well chuffed :D

Look forwar dto seeing the article

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:22 pm 
Junior WRC

Thanks Mook. I still haven't heared anything from them.. :( which means they could contact me very soon too :lol:

But yeah, I'm still very excited about all this, never been in a mag before with the car.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:48 am 
Junior WRC

Preview on Autoweek.nl! The mag will be on sale here next week:

http://www.autoweek.nl/magazineorder.php?ID=10516

Translated to English:

Quote:
Cool property
Toyota Celica GT-Four

The sword of ‘El Matador’

The Toyota Celica GT-Four owned by René van Meurs is rare. It's the ’Carlos Sainz’, a limited edition, on which the 1992 world rally car was based. Rallybred or not, René even made the car a bit more sporty under its skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:11 am 
Junior WRC

Nice one Rene. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:21 pm 
Junior WRC

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! 8)

Small pic in the table of contents:

The text below the picture says: "A Toyota Celica which costet near 100.000 gilders back in 1992? That's Cool Property today!"

The feature itself (BIG, hence links):

http://www.turbocelica.nl/images/autoweek/autoweekpage1.jpg

http://www.turbocelica.nl/images/autoweek/autoweekpage2.jpg

I'll try to post a translated English version asap :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:04 am 
Junior WRC

Pfhew, took a while but here ya go:

COOL PROPERTY TOYOTA CELICA GT-FOUR

THE SWORD OF ‘EL MATADOR’

The Toyota Celica GT-Four owned by René van Meurs is rare. It's the ’Carlos Sainz’, a limited edition, on which the 1992 world rally car was based. Rally bred or not, René even made the car a bit more sporty under its skin.

Text Philip Hofman, photographs Fons Klappe

During the end of the 80’s and the beginning of the 90’s Lancia dominates the world rally championship with their Delta Integrale. Subaru and Mitsubishi are only small players in the game at the time. In 1990 Toyota-driver Carlos Sainz beats the mighty Lancia. The Spanish ‘fighter’ wins the first rally championship for Toyota with his Celica GT-Four. In total, the Celica wins four drivers championships and two manufacturers titles, before the car suddenly disappears from the rally scene because of disqualification. That year the FIA caught Toyota cheating with the turbocharger. All gained world championship points were taken away and Toyota got banned from rallying for the following 12 months. Although the now 21-year-old René is only a little boy back then, the rally cars at that time impress him a lot while racing on the TV-screen. Immediately he decides to start saving money to buy such a rally monster one day.

It’s got the looks, but lacks of power

After getting his driver license, René for a second takes a look at the Honda Civic and VW Golf but immediately realizes that these too common traffic light-sprinters don’t float his boat. A Subaru Impreza, how about that? René: “Everybody’s got one when it comes to turbocharged four-wheel-driven cars from Japan. They aren’t exclusive anymore!” Therefore he breakes his piggy bank and buys himself a Celica ST182 Widebody. A car which has got the looks, but lacks of the power the turbocharged models have. Two years later René sells his coupe. He starts his search for the four-wheel-driven turbocharged model, the GT-Four. He’s especially interested in the limited edition; the ‘Carlos Sainz’. The chance of finding one isn’t big. To meet the WRC homologation rules, Toyota only built 5000 cars of this type. Only ten of them have been sold through the Dutch Toyota-importer. During his search, René checks out nine GT-Fours before finding his ‘Sainz’. The car got it’s license in 1993, had done 123.000 km and was maintained quite well. The original certificate of authenticity signed by ‘El Matador’ Carlos Sainz came with the car. The only problem the car had was a worn crankshaft seal. The inexperienced seller therefore only asks 6000 euro for the car. According to René that’s almost for free for a Carlos Sainz in this shape: “I might have been able to double the price and sell it the same day after some polishing”. He resists the seduction. Today he owns his dream car, number 2433 out of the limited 5000.

Power

Being a product design student, René finds a cars appearance very important. “That’s what also got me interested in the Celica, the timeless looks. In my opinion, this is the best looking Celica ever built.” But he also likes power and functionality. That last part is clearly applied at the Carlos Sainz model according to him, because the 1992 world rally car was based on this model. For instance, the big air scoop on the bonnet has been replaced with a huge vent. That vent isn’t there for show, it had to release the extreme turbo-heat at the rally cars. René reckons the exterior of the rare Toyota should stay original, but he added some carefully selected technical modifications. Therefore he orders most parts directly from Japan. Among others he fitted a race clutch with lightweight flywheel and shock absorbers made by the Japanese company Tein, which are adjustable in height and damping stiffness. When the throttle body closes you hear a pitch from the blow-off valve. René: “Sounds cool ey? The turbo isn’t stopped completely and thus spools faster after a shift.” That last part is ‘quite’ noticeable in the passenger seat. When René overtakes another car in third gear, the blower gives the Celica a hard push. Turbo lag isn’t noticeable either; the power is available very quickly again. A bit strange at least is the fact that the engine continues to run after René gets out of the car and locks the Celica. René: “Oh it’ll stop automatically, don’t worry!” Reason for that is the turbotimer, which prevents the turbo from cooling down too fast. That way the oil doesn’t ‘coke’ to the turbo shaft. René is proud and careful with his Celica Carlos Sainz. He uses the car mostly for weekend cruising. There however sometimes is a thought about the chances of winning a sprint from a newer rally cannon...

[Technical specifications table, no translation needed I guess :D ]

DID YOU KNOW...

That the Celica Turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz...
• ...has a different front bumper with bigger air intakes?
• ...has a lighter rear bumper and exhaust system?
• ...has slightly different tail lights and no fog lights up front?
• ...has a bonnet with a little scoop and a big vent instead of a big scoop?
• ...has a slightly shorter gear throw and thus can shift faster?
• ...has a water cooled instead of an air cooled intercooler?
• ...only produces 4 bhp more than the GT-Four but has a much flatter torque curve?
• ...has slightly changed suspension components?
• ...diverts the power with a viscous differential?
• ...from René can be seen on www.turbocelica.nl?

Comments beneath the photographs (from left to right and top to bottom):

- The dashboard is very Toyota; very well put together, clean, but a bit boring.
- Not a lot of space under the bonnet.
- René: “My Celica ‘Carlos Sainz’ does turn heads!”
- The HKS blow-off valve produces a nice pitch.
- 17 inch wheels by Rays Engineering wrapped with Toyo T1-R tires.
- From this GT-Four only 5000 examples were ever made.
- This little scoop is for cooling the cam belt.
- The ‘uber’-Toyota Celica just breathes aggression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 pm 
Club Staff

Great to read the full article :mrgreen: thank goodness your English is better than my Dutch :oops: We should make this a web page for 'Owners Cars' to really do it justice.

Well done Rene :D

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:03 am 
Junior WRC

Thanks man, I guess I translated it quite understandable as well then? Cool.

BTW, AutoWeek didn't approve my idea of putting the article on my website, but I never mentioned a forum. Yo guys never saw it though ok? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:51 pm 
Club Staff

Ah, thanks for letting us know! Thought the translated version would 'belong' to you but we'd better not risk it so if we leave it here that should be fine. Maybe in a few months time it will be OK.

You've probably seen some of the old GT-Four/3S-GTE articles we've published from the Autospeed web site on our web pages but we did get their express permission beforehand.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp